Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 2, 2010

Kristie from OCD: Obsessive Crafting Disorder...

This is a sweet quilt from Kristie from OCD: Obsessive Crafting Disorder. Finally, I have found a name for my condition! I have OCD too!  Anyhow, her blog is super cute full of tons of cute tutorials. She is very talented. She is a little new to the blog world, so go on over and give her a big welcome! This is actually a sweet story...

I am so pleased with how this quilt came out, I seriously considered changing the name of one of my girls to Mckinley so that I can keep it. But, in the end, I can't think of a better home for this one. Mckinley was recently adopted by long term patients who I consider friends, after a long struggle with infertility. It is such a happy ending, and I am thrilled to do something for this beautiful new family!

I made the quilt using a Moda Hunky Dory charm pack, then framed each square in white to make it pop. The back is a solid of my favorite pattern from this series- the flowers are so vibrant and retro looking. I then bound it in the pink polka dot from the series. I also put in a white bar on which I hand embroidered Mckinley's name. To do so I printed a font and size on my computer, held it up to a window, and traced it onto the white sash. I then used 3 embroidery threads to stitch it up. Thanks to Amy at NanaCo for the advice! I extended the name stash to the edges, beyond the borders of the blocks, to add interest. I really like how it breaks up the quilt.



Next, I added a few shabby fabric flowers, with mismatched button centers, to add more texture and interest to the quilt. I love it! This idea was from Kathy at Magnolia Designs- she even lent me her Big Shot to cut the fabrics :-) They look even better all wrinkled up, once washed.

For quilting, I machine stitched 1/4 inch from all the borders. It really brings it all together!


I hope Mckinley and her family enjoy the quilt!

LINKING AT AMYLOUWHO

21 comments:

Nana Time said...

My Oh My...... how truly lovely, and charmning. I love the "shabby flowers" off setting the blocks to put in the name and your tips on embroidering the name. I am very impressed, girlfriend.

Belinda said...

What a beautiful quilt! And this would be a great idea for a wedding quilt I'm thinking of making for my son and future daughter-in-law. (changing the colors of course :)

Larri said...

Sew Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Samantha said...

I am proud to call Kristie a friend and crafty soulmate. This quilt rocks, you are truly an inspiration girlfriend!
I too hope to be the recipient of one of your gorgeous quilts one day! Hint Hint....love you!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is such a great quilt. Hunky Dory is one of my favorite fabric lines and the shabby chic flowers are adorable!

Rene' said...

This is a beautiful pattern for using Hunky Dory! Very, very pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Kelly said...

I love the flower details! Such a neat idea. Its just beautiful :)

Tori said...

Beautiful, I love it!

Kristie said...

Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful comments, and to Heather and Megan for featuring this. I am new to the blogging/quilting scene, and really appreciate the encouragement! Making this quilt was so much fun, and I am sure there will be many more to follow- 3 in progress as I write, actually :-) I am definately hooked!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh wow, that is so pretty. I LOVE it! This is something that will be treasured always, and those flowers are too cute!

Quiltpiecer said...

Very beautiful! So talented! Thanks for sharing!

Carla said...

Thank you for sharing the story. I love the quilt! Especially those shabby flowers. Wonderful touch.

Dayna said...

I think this may be my favorite quilt of all time! What a wonderful story about the recipients.

QuilterMary said...

Love the simplicity of a charm quilt. The shabby flowers ... too cute!!

Kristen said...

The name strip is so sweet with those extra flowers. Love it!

Karen said...

That is such a yummy quilt.

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful little quilt! I particularly love the shabby flowers - I had only seen this before in paper-crafting, so I'm really interested to see that it can be done in fabric too! Thanks!!

Sharlee said...

Beautiful quilt...love the flowers

Anonymous said...

this is just beautiful!!! i loove it all! ♥

Tatkis said...

This quilt is so beautiful! Thank you very much for sharing!

Best wishes,
Tatyana

Lydia Christie said...

I have loved this quilt for so long (since I first saw it here). I want to give quilting a try and would love to make one similar to this. Is there any way you could point me to a pattern for making one like it?