Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lola's Quilt and a Winner!

First and foremost, 1000 followers?!?  This has been such a highlight in our busy schedule.  We can sincerely say THANK YOU!  We appreciate all of you who read daily (or often), who've submitted and let us feature your quilts, who've commented on all the pretty features, who link-up and participate in Fabric Tuesday, THANK YOU!  We are so happy this blog is thriving, it's achieving so much of what we wanted which was to bring quilters together and share the amazing stories behind quilts.

As promised I have a tutorial for you of this quilt:

Finished Quilt Size 30.5" x 40.5"

Let me clarify, I received a Go! Baby fabric cutter from Accuquilt to review, but it doesn't mean I have to give a positive review.  I made this entire quilt using the fabric cutter, but you do not have to have one to make it...just may be faster if you do.  Especially the circles.  If you're using the Go! Baby I used the 2.5" die strip cutter and the circles die, 2", 3" and 5".

Materials needed:
Twenty strips (whichever colors and patterns you choose), 2.5" x 44" (see below)
Six white strips, 2.5" x 40.5"
Three 5" circles (main flower)
Three 3" circles (middle flower)
Three 2" circles (center flower)
2 green fabrics, 3" x 5" (large leaves)
3 green fabrics, 3" x 3" (small leaves)
*I provide a template for circles and leaves in a moment*

Edited to add: Some very smart readers had some good insight.  You DO NOT need 44" in length (I am so used to yardage I didn't consider otherwise!  Ha!)  You only NEED 20.5" in length.  So a few options, you could make two quilts and cut double white strips.  You could use fat quarters.  Or you could take 10 strips 2.5" x 44" sewn together as show below, cut down the middle and sew top to bottom.)

Step 1:

Sew the twenty strips together, top to bottom.  The finished piece should measure 40.5" x 44".

*shown are cut measurements, not sewn or finished measurements
click to enlarge
Step 2:

Now cut this piece into strips, three 2.5" x 40.5" pieces and two 6.5" x 40.5".

*shown are cut measurements, not sewn or finished measurements
click to enlarge

Step 3:

Sewing side to side, alternate strip pieces and white 2.5" x 40.5" pieces as shown below.

*shown are cut measurements, not sewn or finished measurements
click to enlarge
Step 4:

Applique the flowers and leaves.  I used Steam a Seam Lite that I got at Joann.  It worked really well, and didn't gunk up my machine.  I like that it is thin, I haven't washed it yet but I think this will be my new applique method on quilts.  The circle and leaf shapes can be found here.



I have not quilted mine yet, I am waiting until after Market.  I will share it as soon as I do! 


We would love to know if you use this tutorial.  If you see any mistakes or have questions let us know.  Please only use this for personal use and not for re-sale.  Please include a link to us if you mention this tutorial on your site.  Thank you for understanding!

14 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations to the winner! And congrats on 1000 followers! I'm one shy of 600 and am still amazed that people read my little blog ;-)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Melissa. That is awesome. I have the Accuquilt to go and I love it so far have made a couple of things with it.

Annelies said...

Congrats to the winner...and we win too. Such a lovely and easy quilt. I was doing the "math" and it seems to me we could get TWO quilts out of one jelly roll, and cutting additional background fabric. A great deal...two quilts for one. SEW perfect. Thanks for sharing. Your blog is one I enjoy LOTS!!!!

littlemissmk said...

wow i love this quilt- totally gonna use the tutorial! thanks! also- congrats on the 1000 followers- i'm a new follower but never left that in your comment section. so there you go- hi! :)

krisgray said...

Congrats to the winner - enjoy that new tool!

the gathering girls said...

Congrats Melissa!!

Deb said...

Congrats to the winner!!! I've just bookmarked this post; I have just the fabric to make this quilt... and it looks easy enough for me to make :o)

Anonymous said...

I am going to make that quilt. lovw it

Diane Bohn said...

Congrats! And I LOVE the quilt! :) Looks super quick and easy. Just one question though... what do you do with the rest of the 44" strips that you cut off? Really you could make this with a fat quarter set couldn't you? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks for sharing! :)

Diane Bohn said...

I'm in the process of making this quilt, and am pretty excited about how it's turning out. I was wondering how you plan to quilt it? I was thinking of maybe doing wonky straight lines going horizontally across the quilt, but thought you might have a better design... and was wondering if you would want to share?! :) I'll let you know when mine is finished and posted on my blog.

Sarah @ This Crazy Blessed Life said...

I'm making my third quilt now...an applique quilt, so your decorative stitching is a huge inspiration to me...I think I've got a new idea for mine :)

yanmaneee said...

moncler outlet
kobe sneakers
golden goose outlet
hermes handbags
lebron james shoes
adidas yeezy
yeezys
curry shoes
giannis antetokounmpo shoes
kd shoes

Unknown said...

article published here Full Article https://www.dolabuy.co find out here now go to this site

loche said...

x8v20q1k94 p9p97u4m47 t0l16d1t98 z4n17r8r23 g6e57h8g41 m4x71f0u27