Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 21, 2011

Make a Difference by Quilting

Rene' from Rene' Creates is a very talented quilter we (and many of you)  have gotten to know through blogland! She recently sent us a link to a post of hers that she's very passionate about.  There is a charity called the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative that sells and auctions donated quilts to raise awareness and funding for research. Little did Rene know, our grandmother passed away 4 years ago this May with Alzheimer's.  And she was an avid quilter.  We each have quilts from her for our weddings and our babies.  She taught Heather how to knit.  We definitely get our crafty and creativity from that side of the family.  Quilting was probably the last hobby she was able to maintain.  So please read below to hear Rene's great thoughts and ideas to get us all motivated to help and check out AAQI for more information.  Thanks again Rene'.


Don't you just love the feeling you get with the promise of a new year....new goals....new challenges...new possibilities...especially when you're off to a great start in reaching those goals? 

AAQI #6342 Color Play

A major goal I set for myself this year was recommitting to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative by making Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts, and I am psyched to tell you that I completed two this weekend!

If you are not familiar with the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, go right now to their page to learn how this amazing organization "raises awareness and funds research through art." Just make sure you come back because I have more to say on the subject ;-)

Go ahead....I'll wait.......

Color Play is going in the mail today!
....pretty amazing organization, am I right?!  

Did you bid or buy any quilts while you were there?  {grins}
I recently purchased this quilt made by my good buddy Michele, and I have my eye on this one and this one made by fellow members of the Liberated Quilters Blog!!!

AAQI #6343 The Blues
I love making these quilts because it gives me an opportunity to try new techniques, practice my FMQ, and use my scraps, all while helping a worthy cause!  They are super quick as well, because the maximum size is 9 by 12 inches.

Would you like to make a Priority: Alzheimer's Quilt?  Anyone and everyone is welcome and encouraged to make one.  You don't have to be part of a guild or the liberated quilter's group.  Just go to the Make a Priority: Alzheimer's quilt donation page to find out how.

I noticed that other bloggers had set a goal to make Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts too, so I thought it would be fun to challenge and motivate one another to keep that resolution.  

The Blues is also being mailed out today.

Thank you Michele and Susan for brainstorming with me!  Here's the scoop: 

2) Register your quilt with the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative 
3) Repeat #1 and #2 as many times as you'd like ;-)
4) Tell all your artsy quilty friends to do the same
5) Consider adding your blog post to the AAQI Update blog

Edited to add:
The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative has come up with a way for us all to encourage our readers. Find out how by visiting the AAQI Update blog. [link to http://aaqiupdate.wordpress.com/get-ideas/] The AAQI will also be creating a button for our blogs soon.
On the last day of each month, come back and share the registration number(s) of the quilt(s) you made.  From those, we will have drawings for fun giveaways.  Maybe, we'll even have a Show and Tell so others will be inspired to make, bid and/or buy!

Sound like fun? {Please say yes!} 
If you are interested in playing, leave me a comment so I know I'm not doing this alone ;-)  Don't forget to tell all your bloggy friends.  Check back soon for further details.
I hope you are as excited as I am about this challenge!!!!!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Rene' said...

Heather and Megan, thank you so much for getting the word out regarding the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! I was touched by your introduction. I am sorry to hear that your grandmother suffered from this devastating disease. She sounds like a wonderful lady. We are all so lucky that she passed along her passion for creating with you two!

the gathering girls said...

I just checked out the site....thank you for bringing it to our attention. They have a quilt-a-month program and I may consider that one, it begins in Feb.

Kasey said...

That's one of my goals this year- and I have the hexie flower pieced and waiting to be stitched to a background for it. The whole idea was inspired by my grandmother who had that terrible disease. Thanks for this post, since it just might help me get it done TODAY.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Thank you so very much for posting about AAQI and urging everyone to make a difference in our fight against Alzheimer's with our quilting and donating of small quilts to AAQI. I'm one of Ami's volunteers, a quilter, a blogger, and I love to make and donate quilts to AAQI. I know Rene' from blogging and from her being a part of my AAQI Liberated Quilting Challenge...see the side link on my blog to link up to our web page on the AAQI site. If you are any other quilter would like to take one extra step to join up with our group (which Rene is part of) we'd love to have you! It gives one more photo of your quilts and more links back to you and it helps us show how groups of quilters can band together for a cause. Other than that...love reading about your support!!!!

Charity said...

What a worthy cause? Thanks for sharing. I'm off to find out more.

Sandy O. said...

It's an amazing cause, It's great to see that quilters are not only creative, gifted people, but they are very generous as well. I wish you all the luck!

abigailuna said...

"Make a Difference by Quilting" is a heartfelt book that connects quilting to social impact, inspiring readers to use it as a powerful tool for positive change. It shares stories of resilience, creativity, and community, encouraging readers to join the movement. Statement of Net Worth Divorce New York