Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Quick Quilting Tip and Fabric Tuesday!

Hey friends and new friends!! We're on the stop today from Amy at Diary of  a Quilter to share a Quick Quilting Tip!!


We're two sisters, Megan and Heather, who blog about all things sewing, creative, quilty, all the fun stuff!  We design quilt patterns that can be found here in our shop!  We'd love for you to look around our blog, check out Fabric Tuesday (at the end of this post) and find us on Instagram @QuiltStory and @QuiltStoryMeg

We were excited to do this little tip for Amy's series. Labeling the quilt. Sometimes the most special touch to a friend and child is the personal touch a label offers.

I am getting better at labeling my quilts, I'm pretty excited about that!  So many quilts Heather and I do are not necessarily for anyone in particular and often hang in shops...but the more quilts I've been making for family and friends I've decided to make them more personal. Thanks for the visit, and we hope you enjoy this simple tutorial...

Step 1
Type up (or write by hand) whatever you'd like your label to say.  I can rarely get through the children's book Love You Forever without crying, just reinforces my love for my little boys!!  (If you somehow do not know of this book you need to read it immediately!!  Children or not, if you're human you'll be touched!!)  I chose to use the lyrics from that book.  Remember to keep in mind the size of your block, I put a box around mine for reference (I use Photoshop).  I think it's important in a label to include the date and your name.

Step 2
Using a fabric pen (one that will wash out) copy the text onto your quilt block.

Step 3:
Put an embroidery hoop around the block.  Stitch the text using a simple backstitch.  Below is a step by step of how to do the stitch.  Click to enlarge.

Step 4:
Finished!  I've got extra lines in there to center it...

Here it is in the quilt!  It is on the back, a strip of blocks along with the quilt tag and I also appliqued his name.  I have a tutorial coming up showing how Heather and I like to applique.  Sorry to be so lame, I don't have a reveal of the quilt yet!  But hopefully by next month :)
I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be

Other miscellaneous information:
I'd recommend using a piece larger than your block (while still keeping the embroidery in the right size).  You have to consider the embroidery hoop, plus it's easier to work with and trim to size when finished.

I used DMC embroidery floss.


And don't forget to check out Amy's new book if you haven't!  Awesome Amy!!!




Welcome to Fabric Tuesday!
Fabric Tuesday #186
Here you can link up any projects that you use fabric to create!  It can be WIPs or finished projects!  Take time to visit others, that's what makes a linky party fun!





12 comments:

Turid said...

Great, thank you!

Dee said...

Love this way to label...hand stitching makes it even more special!

Daytona Damsel said...

I love that book too and I cry just looking at the cover. My baby boy is now 40 years old. I am getting ready to start him a quilt and I love the idea of using those words.

Lauren Deel said...

I LOVE that book and cry, too! I used to sing that song to Charlotte every night before bed. But when she gave up her pacifier recently, she insisted that we switch to singing a "big girl" song now! :)

Thank you SOOO much for this tutorial. I love your embroidered label. I need to get so much better at adding quilt labels. I usually neglect this step. :(

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

This is a great method. Thanks so much for sharing it!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

ChristaQuilts said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Izzy said...

Amazing method! I've been a little bit better at labeling my quilts, but still not where I'd like to be. My next label will definitely be embroidered. Thank you so much!

Patch the Giraffe said...

Oh this is a great idea, never thought to sew it in! Thanks for sharing this tip :)

RobotMomSews said...

This is so cute Meg! Can't wait to see the big reveal! Great post!

Anonymous said...

I think labelling a quilt is so special and important. Thanks for the tip.

Salvador said...

Our team of world-class experts is ready to cbd review sites answer all your questions and concerns 7 days a week. We love helping our clients learn more about CBD products and how they can fit into your life.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

Suitable for working in sewing, whether technical or doing different methods.ดูหนังออนไลน์