My 'Crayon Challenge Quilt' is finished. About 6 months ago 46 members of our Quilt Guild chose a random crayon out of a bag and had to complete a 12" x 12" or 8" x 10" quilt with at least 50% of the fabric being the color of the crayon. The quilts will be silent auctioned for a fund raiser for one of the local hospitals. My crayon was 'jungle green'. Interestingly it is not a yellow-green color, but has much more blue in it than I was expecting. I went in search of a matching fabric in the stash and found some that was quite close to perfect. Then I pulled out the lighter color for the contrast. I started by cutting out blocks and laying them out in various patterns. I originally was going to do the quilt blocks on point, but I didn't have enough. Once I decided on the simple one patch grid and cut some other shapes and played around with those. This is what I ended up with.
I used some decorative stitches to secure the appliques and emphasize the blocks. I did the binding in the lighter color because I didn't have nearly enough of the dark (which I would have preferred), but it rather looked like it was 'floating'. So I decided to add the beads on the edge. Then to tie it all together I added some to the rectangles.
Overall I am pretty happy with the little quilt. If I could go back, I probably would have put less beads on the edge - it is pretty heavy for a small quilt.