Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Handmade Retro's Double Wedding Ring Quilt!

Today's feature is from Kristy of Handmade Retro...and it is so beautiful!!  I love when we get a great quilt with an even better story!!  She thought out every bit of this project and it is so thoughtful.  Kristy is part of Sew Australia, a great bee with some fun photos to look through and for them she recently shared this great tutorial.  Also she had her first recipe on Moda Bake Shop this summer, can't wait to try it!

It is finished - and I couldn't be more pleased with how it has turned out. 

First a little explanation about the recipients which will make some of the details about the quilt make more sense. The quilt is for my brother, Justin and his wife since last November, Amy. And yes, I realise that makes this a very late wedding present. Amy's blog documenting the planning of their wedding was called Polka Dots and Sunshine, she wore a dress with small dots on the overdress fabric and the flowers at the wedding were yellow. Justin's favourite colour is green. They married in a garden in the foothills of Perth and marked the aisle with handmade pinwheels from scrapbooking paper.

The quilt measures 55" by 65" and is 4 rings by 5 rings making the quilt a lap size. It is the size I had planned from the beginning to be used on the couch or at the end of the bed but if I had several more months I might have gone for a bed size as the piecing is time consuming and, at time tedious, but once I got the hand of it it turned out not to be so hard.

I didn't use a 'pattern' as such but cut everything using templates from Matilda's Own, the set I bought coming with a handy book detiling fabric requirements for different quilt sizes as well as some very detailed and helpul piecing directions and the template designs to square off the edges. The holes in the templates to mark seam intersections was also VERY helpful.

So to the fabric choices and placement. The intersecting squares bringing the rings together were the two colours that represtented Justin and Amy, the green and the yellow. The other prints in the rings included a number of spots as a nod to the wedding's 'shape' theme as well as some other prints to balance these out.

The backing fabric was chosen as a contrast to the front, stripes and spots but the print could have been a little overwhealing without being split. The double pinwheel blocks down the centre is reminicinet of the aisle at their wedding ceremony which was marked by homemade pinwheels made using scrapbook paper.

I echo quilted the rings on my machine. I love the way it looks but it took a lot longer than I thought and really took a lot out of my neck and shoulders. I enjoy quilting all my own quilts but the basic domestic machines certainly have their limits.

Of course it is labelled on the back - the quote is one that came to Amy when planning ceremony readings for the wedding but didn't feel is appropriate to include in the ceremony itself. And of course their names and the wedding date. On the way home with them tomorrow.

Other Posts about this quilt


Photobucket

14 comments:

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

Beautiful! I love it!

Hugs ~~ Suz
inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

Helen said...

That is fantastic. I love the echo quilting and the colors.

QuiltNut Creations said...

absolutely love it! I started a double wedding ring quilt roughly 8yrs ago. the quilting on this, that may just be the push I need to get mine done!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Love the fabrics used for the rings! Lovely.

pinsandneedles said...

Beautiful work! Love the polka dots and the backing is so fun. Great job on the quilting.

Sara said...

Adore the colors and the pattern with the pinwheels on the back!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Oh wow, this is stunning. the quilting is just amazing! I'm working on a DWR right now so I have total admiration for you finishing yours. Mine keeps winding up on the bottom of the pile because it's so time consuming. Fantastic work!

Ruth said...

Great fabric choices and beautiful quilting! Sipmly stunning!

Melissa said...

Kristy!! That's lovely! Oh, I'm sure your brother and sister-in-law are feeling like the luckiest people on
Earth to have such a wonderful quilt. What a beautiful story to go with it. :)

Lauren Phelps said...

Wow! I love it! The dots look great and the quilting is awesome!

Jean said...

Wow, love this quilt. And your blog. I am new to quilting and blogging too. The list of blogs I follow, including yours, keeps increasing. I get so much inspiration from them. Thank you!

Lynne said...

The quilt is beautiful and will be very much appreciated for all its symbolism I'm sure!

Kristy said...

Thanks, everyone for all the wonderful feedback! It is well appreciated.

Theweddingbandcompany said...

Beautiful choices! I always enjoy making double wedding bands, it's wonderful to know something you make will be cherished for a lifetime.
Eternity Wedding Bands