Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love of Solids Wall Quilt, awesome!

Leanne from She Can Quilt is very talented, no doubt! Just check our her newest finish, Kaleidoscope Quilt, amazing!  I love looking through her posts or her flickr account, very inspiring.  And today's quilt...I love this quilt, it makes me want to go out of my comfort zone!
For the Love of Solids [a modern swap] - wall quilt - complete.

I have finished the wall quilt I am making for my secret partner in the Love of Solids [a modern swap]. It is 29.75" x 21.25". The fabric is an assortment of Kona solids, some are the organic solids, some are the regular. There are two different Essex linen or linen/cottons as well.

FTLOS - front detail

The spiral pattern was made using the Parfait Cafe tutorial here.

This quilt had several inspirations. I hope you might be reminded of the beach - logs, water, shells, sand, plant life, and also the movement at the beach.

  Beach inspiration - 2011

I think you will see some of my inspiration in these beach pictures.

FTLOS - front detail

The pixelated squares, or sun-shattered views, or whatever you might see, are made of squares that finish at 1". The boards on the deck are 5"wide to give you a bit of scale.

FTLOS - front detail

I quilted it heavily. It has not been washed, and still you get a lot of quilty puffing. You might have a glimpse of sunbaked, ocean tossed distressed wood, sand, shells, and water.

FTLOS - back

Here is the back, which is a piece of Essex Linen or maybe their linen/cotton blend, I cannot remember. I used thread from 3 different spools of hand-dyed thread from Valdani Inc. - backyard honeycomb, subtle elegance and silver foam. This thread is a dream to work with and is made from a beautiful highly mercerized long staple cotton.

FTLOS - back detail

The quilting is by machine, echoing the patterns, somewhat randomly and not perfectly, much like the distressing nature causes.

FTLOS - binding detail

The binding was interesting. I wanted the front to finish without any edges but I wanted the quilting to show on the back. I considered this tutorial by Lisa Call, combined with this tutorial by Kerry at Verykerryberry, to come up with this. The part you see on the back is about 3/4". If anyone wants a tutorial for what I did exactly, let me know. It hangs nicely with pins, I have to add some kind of hanger to the back, in case my partner is partial to using a dowel or a wire for hanging.

For the Love of Solids [a modern swap] - wall quilt - complete

I just love it - it is going to be very hard to send it away, but I have plans for another one or maybe several more, similar but different, for me. Thanks to my friend Marianne at The Quilting Edge, for encouraging me on this project, I think I have managed to really stretch and I am very happy with where it has taken me.


Photobucket

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Very cool quilt! Leanne does awesome work!!

Leanne said...

Thank you for the lovely feature, I am so flattered.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Another beauty from Leanne!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, and those lovely 1" squares, sigh if only I has a New England style house and this draped over the comfy wicker chair. Kxx

MariQuilts said...

Beautiful quilt...so glad you went out of your comfort zone, it was so worth it.

Carolyn said...

This is beautiful. I have recently begun to fall in love with solids. I totally see your inspiration of the beach.
~Carolyn

Nicole said...

The quilting on this is amazing! And it's so nice to see how an idea goes from inspiration to quilted reality.

Susan said...

That is a wonderful quilt, and I'm so tempted to try one like it myself. Thanks for the pictures of your wonderful quilting.

Kirsten said...

Such a beautiful quilt!

QuiltNut Creations said...

Absolutely beautiful!