Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sew Sarah Sews, friendship quilt, sweet story...

How cute is this story of a long time friendship! I love it!  So Sarah sews has a really sweet blog, she also has a charity group where she makes "Quilts for Kids" She is starting a new one for a sad 16 year old in the foster care system, read up here. She needs people to sign up to make just one block. I think that she still needs 20 more blocks, What a great way to help people feel loved! Head over to her blog, and if you can, sign up to help with her Quilts with Kids...



A long time ago, when I was in kindergarten, I met a girl named Rebecca.

We were friends off and on throughout elementary school, but really became close in middle school.  We became inseparable friends.

My Love Grows Quilt

We have shared so much in life: kindergarten, sixth grade, high school, and college graduation, we were each other's Maid/Matron of Honor in our weddings, we even started having children at the same time.  I started the tradition of boys in the families and ended up having three.  We thought we would both end up with three boys, but along came the only girl, Zoe.

We even went through miscarriages at the same time.  God truly blessed me when He gave me a friend in Rebecca.

When we were in high school, I made a silly little thing out of a plastic butter container.  On the top was a flower and then when you opened it, there was a long stem with leaves.  On each leaf it said a word, "My love for you grows and grows."

My love grows quilt stem detail

When I saw the design for this quilt, I knew this had to be a quilt for her.

My love grows quilt detail

While other friends were BFF's, we were Best Friends "For Always."

"for always"

I thank God for a friend who knows me better than anyone else, who has been there through good times and bad, and will be there....for always. 

And can you believe that when I gave her this quilt, she pulled out the flower that I had made for her almost 17 years ago! The red petals of the flower have faded and now they match the peaches in the quilt almost perfectly.

picnikfile_4UGhbA

picnikfile_CNsdkH

I even wrote love "for always" on the flower. We are truly blessed to have each other!

My love grows quilt
Adapted from Stems Quilt Pattern by Fig Tree Quilts

Photobucket

12 comments:

Lynne said...

It's a great story. isn't it? And Sarah is doing wonderful work with "Quilts for Kinds"; I'm proud to be follower of her blog.

Swedish Scrapper said...

what a fantastic story! Makes me think of my daughter, and her very best friend, and the crafts they come up with for each other....

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Such a sweet story! Sarah is wonderful and that quilt is beautiful :)

Mary Menzer said...

Sarah, what a great gift for a friend. Rebecca is also blessed to have such a friend as you! We never know what it is that someone else will treasure, and obviously the two of you have treasured each other. I love how you came about your quilt idea.
~Mary

Josie McRazie said...

I don't know what I would do without my Rebecca (or Bec, really!) She has been there for always! We were just looking at pics from church when we were five! She lives way to far away, but we always pick up where we left off!!

Michelle said...

That is such a sweet story! It made me cry!

Danny Heyen said...

That s such a great story!

The AfterCraft said...

My heart just melted a little bit :)

Becky said...

What a wonderful story of love and friendship! How truly blessed you both are. Beautiful quilt!

pinsandneedles said...

A touching story and a beautiful quilt!

CathyK said...

Friends who are truly blessed to have each other. What a great story!

Susan said...

I love this story. The best part was that Rebecca still had the original flower! And KNEW where it was!