Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 13, 2013

A little bit biased sampler quilt...


Amber is our cute friend who blogs at A Little Bit Biased. We met her at market and have since become friends. In fact, Amber and Heather are attending a quilt retreat in February! (Jealous!)  She writes quilt patterns too, Gigi's Thimbles, darling patterns, you can find them here. Make sure to visit her blog...

Today, I thought I would share with you my newest finish.  This actually has been quilted for quite some time.  It took me FOREVER to bind it though (as it was my first time doing a scalloped binding and I was trying out a new stitch I learned that took me some time to get down).  Then, she sat in my quilt cabinet for a week or so, wondering when I was going to find her a good home and take some pictures of her!


 Even this, may be a temporary home, because my sewing room is under a little bit of "construction" (or maybe "rearranging" is a better word...) but I know she will definitely be on full display in there because the colors are perfect!
 

There is more information about the beginnings of this quilt HERE
It's fun to look back and see how the quilt has evolved...

 
I decided to use a solid white for the outer border because I knew I was going to get some fancy custom quilting in there and yet I still wanted to leave the emphasis on the blocks themselves.

 
 I used the same solid white on the back, as well.  My quilter said she hates solid white backs because you can see everything but I think it turned out great!  Wren Woodland in Highland, UT. quilted it for me.  She is a custom, free-hand quilter that I reserve for my most special quilts!  She does a fabulous job, always.


All of the blocks in this quilt, came from the book, Around the Block with Judy Hopkins.  It's a great book with tons of block patterns each in several different sizes.  My blocks all finished at 10".   
 

My little quilt group picked out these blocks together and then each of us made our own quilts in our own color schemes with our own settings.  Each quilt is so different and lovely (maybe someday I can show you pictures of all of them together!)  We started them a long time ago and I think I'm one of the last to get hers done.  I'm happy with the end result though and enjoyed the process of making this sampler style quilt.


Photobucket

12 comments:

Lynne said...

The scalloped border makes such a difference, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Quick question - do you wash your quilts before displaying them? Thanks, Anna

Lynette said...

I really does have perfect colors for that room! Love the binding. Scallops are in vogue this week! hehe I just attached a scalloped binding yesterday and need to stitch it down now, and the last two posts I read also had new finishes with scallops. Pretty intense to put on, eh? So gorgeous, though. Love it!

Little Penpen said...

beautiful!!! love the scalloped edges!

Rebecca said...

It's very pretty and classic. Great job!

Sara said...

scalloped edges are very intriguing aren't they though:) They scare me at the same time! I love all the white throughout this quilt. You did a magnificent job!

Books_Bound said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love the colors and the design, and especially the scalloped edges! Wow--great job!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Thanks you guys!

Anna Veit - I do usually wash my quilts. I like the wrinkly, vintagy affect it gives. Plus, this one definitely needed a wash because there were some chalk lines on there that my quilter had left! :)

And to the rest of you - yes, the scalloped border was kind of intense. I've done a zig zag binding before (on one of my patterns - Sugar and Spice) and one other scalloped border before but this one was tricky. Maybe because of those deep crevices or maybe I should have used 2-1/2" binding strips rather than 2-1/4". Don't know what the protocol is there but it worked out and worth every tedious stitch!

Thanks for your comments!

Amber
alittlebitbiased.blogspot.com
Gigi's Thimble Quilt Patterns

sincerely yours said...

It turned out beautiful; love the soft colors! So tell us please what tips you learned while doing a scalloped border ... from sewing it on the quilt to hand tacking it down (especially in the sharp turns between each scallop) and I've always had a hard time with a biased binding on any quilt getting it to come smooth; seems the fabric wants to stretch and pucker. Thanks again for sharing your beautiful work.

Teresa Marie said...

So beautiful!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

so cute and sweet! :)

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

Making your clothes useful to the masses It reads a lot. and have fun ดูหนังออนไลน์