Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sue Spargo Robin Run the Hedge

Today's feature is of a super talented quilter/teacher/designer Sue Spargo. Sue used all sorts of mediums on her quilts, felts, scrap, beads, and embroidery. Her designs are fresh, new and very detailed. We are truly inspired by her work. She holds several workshops all over the country, and some out of the country. Sue is truly an inspired quilter and we are honored to feature her work here. Make sure to go check out her website and her blog.


Each year I do a BOM on through my website. It is very popular and is limited to 300 participants. The center of this quilt was the BOM from last year. I absolutely loved creating it. It was inspired by my visits to Italy and the wonderful birds that flew in and out of the hedgerows in the Tuscan hills.


It has 13 different birds on the vine which are all embellished with different ribbons.  The background is a combination of different hand dyed wools and the applique is fun cottons, hand dyed wool and velvet and taffeta silks.

 I am very fortunate as my sister Wendy does all the dyeing of my wools and velvets so I have a wonderful assortment of colors to pull from. Once I had finished the center I decided to make mine into a queen size quilt adding the large applique borders. I am very please with the finished quilt.


I wrote a book 'Robin Run the Hedge' in May and now you have the opportunity to make a wallhanging or bed quilt for your self. I have taught this quilt many times which can be viewed on my blog using different color combinations.

Sue will be posting her new BOM for 2011 this week. It will be called 'Imperial Blooms' - large flowers heavily embellished with stitching.  This will be very popular, so get signed up!
Thank you Sue, gorgeous work!



7 comments:

Thearica said...

That is one more gorgeous quilt! Off to her website!! Thank you for introducing her to us all.

Leslie said...

this is stunning

Quiltstory said...

amazing work! Thanks

grammajill said...

So glad I checked the blog today! Such beautiful work, can't wait to see more of her quilts.

Heather said...

so detailed and wonderful!

SewSara said...

wow, this is seriously amazing!!!

Robert John said...


My mother came to me and told me about your site and this print when I was extremely irritated about not finishing my assignment last night. She then gave me the advice to speak with a business management dissertation topics uk provider because they are professionals in this area. This handcrafted print is incredibly inspirational to my mum, who also adores it. She wants to give it a shot.