Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Treasure Box Quilt from A little bit biased...

Amber from a little bit biased created this darling quilt with blocks she found is a "craft" box from her husband's Grandma. I love these embroidered blocks, so much time taken. I think these quilts that have touches from generations are so special. Amber has a darling blog here, and she sells her Gigi's thimble patterns here, be sure to check her out.


There is a little story behind this quilt (which, I think make for the very best kind of quilts.) Well, about 5 or 6 years ago (before we bought the house we're in now) we were living with Ryan's Aunt and Uncle for about 9 months while we figured out if we were going to build a house or not. One day, Ryan's Uncle (Ryan's mom's brother) handed me a box and said it was his mom's and he thought it had some sewing stuff in it and I could keep anything I wanted that was in it. Well, low and behold I found these beautiful embroidered blocks - about 10 of them - that his mother had made. 

Finally after some time I pieced 9 of them together in this simple 3x3 grid pattern, with gold sashing and red posts. Some people would kill me for doing this next part, but I decided to go ahead and have it machine quilted as opposed to quilting it by hand. But, the quilting turned out beautiful (my favorite quilter in Idaho did it.) I loved how the back fabric was a tone on tone green hydrangea pattern so that the cream threaded quilting showed up wonderfully. The quilter traced the pattern of the embroidery so it really featured the darling embroidery design.
Shortly after the quilt was finished (and shortly after Ryan's Grandma Barfusspast away) I felt inspired to give it to Ryan's mom. It was a spur of the moment idea and I went ahead and gave it to her. The blocks I found that day were a beautiful surprise so that is why the quilt is called, The Treasure Box Quilt.



Photobucket

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh wow. How beautiful. And such a lovely story. Those are the types of things that mean so much.

pinsandneedles said...

This is gorgeous! I love how the gold sashing with the red post really brings out the beautiful hand embroidery. This quilt is truly a treasure.

Needled Mom said...

It is just gorgeous!!! I do hope that it will eventually come back to you.

the gathering girls said...

so very beautiful!

Pieces to Love said...

very beautiful, all around, the blocks, the story, and the love.

Lynette said...

What a wonderful quilt made of the grandmother blocks! Perfect fabrics to go with them. Thank you for sharing this neat story and gorgeous quilt.

Charlise said...

I LOVE this story! I have recently lost my stepmother and her children have given me all of her crafting supplies. I can't wait to see what I find.