Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Baby boy quilt from Heidi...

Heidi made this quilt, and found that it was therapeutic since she lost her little girl 2 years ago. She finished this little sweet quilt for her new little guy. Sweet colors, sweet baby. Make sure to visit Heidi's blog for more information and inspiration!

I finished little Button's quilt!!


I think Button is excited too!


I have only made one other quilt for one of my children, and that one sits with her memory box.  

This quilt was therapuetic in many ways.

  I bought the "if its a girl" and "if its a boy" quilt kits from Joann's.  

I planned to do them BEFORE he arrived, but I think there was fear.  
Fear that if I made a quilt, I would be coming home empty armed again.  

So demons where vanquished as I worked on it. Cutting went smoothly.  Placing the squares?  Not so much.  Too many mishaps to explain the amount of times my flannel fell and squares fell on the floor.

  I was very anxious about deciding on my quilting plan.  I let the quilt hang out in the studio for a while. 



The usual struggle in my head occurred!  Should I free-motion?  Should I do even lines.  Should I cross even lines to make small squares.  Should I try to make hearts in each large square?

Then I started to doodle. 


Don't you just love post-its?

I decided that I would meander, but cross my lines.  And every so often I would add a heart. 


My heart!


  I emphasized a few of the larger hearts by mimicking the pebble quilting effect.



I will be honest....I let my stitch lengths go a little long.  I have to practice getting them a bit shorter.  My new machine was a bit quick for me!

But I don't think Button cares!



Or maybe he wonders about my ability to quilt?







He should be.  



 Ewww......YUCK!





I was back in business!



Phew, Mom....That was a close one!




I'm so glad that I pushed through all the difficulties to finish it.
  It sure was worth it for this little guy!


Photobucket

10 comments:

Charity said...

Smiles, hearts, quilting, love it all! The baby's awfully adorable too!

Unknown said...

Buttons is adorable....so cute! He looks like he is enjoying his quilt....smile


hugz

Jocelyn said...

The quilt is adorable as is Button!! Thanks for sharing your story and your sweet quilt.

Ruth said...

A gorgeous quilt and a gorgeous little boy. I like the greens and browns. Perfect!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Cute quilt and what a cutie that baby is!

Susan said...

What a dear little boy! Those photos are priceless! I can hear him talking in his cute little baby voice all the way over here! You've warmed my heart on a cold winter's night! (I'm in Oz!) Thanks for sharing!

Lynette said...

Awww. :) Who can resist melting over a pic of such an adorable little guy on a good-looking quilt?

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

I love the quilt! And such a cute little boy to enjoy it. :)

Patty said...

What a sweet baby. Congratulations!

Wendy said...

Both are adorable!