Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 18, 2011

House Blocks!

Welcome to week 3 of the Modern Rockin' Robin QAL!  It's so great to see all your creations popping up in the flickr group.  Never too late to join...

This week is my week!!  Eek!  It sure was fun, when we initially where throwing this idea around I threw my hat in for the House Block right away.  I really took a modern spin on this...




I chose to do two large house blocks and two blocks with three tiny houses.  They make me happy :)


Now of course for you can put the blocks and row(s) together anyway you'd like.  A block with 6 small houses, a block with a large and small house...I think a row with all small houses would be uber cute!!


The "rule" I made for myself in keeping with my theme of cool vs warm colors was the house itself was opposite of the roof.  So here for example the houses are warms and roofs are cools. I am pretty sure that sentences is pretty offensive to English majors.  Anyway, I also decided all the roofs would be polka dots on every house.  

Making these little rules really helped since I was using all scraps.  It gave me a lot more direction.


I was so excited to fussy cut some of my Heather Ross prints to use for the large house blocks.  I absolutely adore these blocks.


I hope you'll try these out!


Again, if you'd like to join the Quilt Along you can find out a little more here, check out the flickr group.

If you want to check out the other bloggers participating and see their blocks see
AnneMarie from GenXQuilters
Jen from ReannaLily Designs
Melissa from Lilac Lane

Click here for the full tutorial on today's House Block by Quilt Story!


Photobucket

7 comments:

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! Wow - what a great blocks - I love houses in patchwork and would love to make these! I hope I can 'follow' your Rockin Robin by myself later.
xxx Teje

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Heather and Megan,

Your house blocks are ART. I love the designs you have come up with. I can see so many ways to use this design {not in a quilt} :0) But it will make a lovely quilt too. All of your designs are so pretty.

You follow me on my Queen of Dreamsz blog but I've started a new blog just for my crochet and sewing. I'd love to have you follow the new blog instead...When you click on my username it will show the new blog name. It's the only one showing. I'm devoting my QOD blog to show my vintage collection of sewing patterns and other vintage images I have.

CityHouseStudio said...

I absolutely LOVE these house blocks!
I might have to join this quilt along, too!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

So cute! Love the scrappiness and the bright colors. Very fun. I look forward to making these at some point.

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

I love this row. You always write the best posts!

PNW Quilts said...

so awesome,,I would love to have these homes in my neighborhood!! ~xo~

Go-Go Kim said...

GAH!!! I want to do this!!!!!!!