Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Challenge Quilt from Squares and Triangles

Tanya who blogs at Squares and Triangles has the most impressive quilt gallery I've seen online, hands down.  Not only is she very talented and creative, but she has every one of the quilts she has ever made listed, pictured and blogged about!!  Seriously, 1-79!  I so wish I had that. She said it took quite a while to do but has been so worth it.  Tanya also sells some of her quilts in her shop. This quilt today is a product of a challenge from her quilting guild!



I joined the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild in May, and I have enjoyed attending the meetings.  Two months ago, they gave us a charm pack of Kona Brights and challenged us to use one additional solid for the front to make this quilt.  So, this is my quilt.
Kona Solid Challenge Quilt
I did intend for it to have a little improv feeling to it.  I initially cut the squares into three strips and sewed 1 inch white strips between them, resulting in a final strip .5 inches wide.  This made it so that the final block was still about 5 inches tall and 5 inches wide.  Then, I cut that block into three strips, cutting through the lines, and sewed those together again with another set of 1 inch white strips between.  This made a resulting 5 inch by 5 inch square (after “squaring it up”) and a # symbol.
Kona Brights Solid Challenge
Some of the colors had a darker value than the others, so I chose some of the darker blocks and cut them into 1 inch strips.  Then, I used four strips with a 5 x 5 square of Kona White in the same way as the other blocks to make these inverse # blocks.  I was also able to use the extra strips to make three multicolored # blocks.
Kona Solids Challenge
I only had enough blocks to use 42 in the front, but I just had to include the other blocks and strips that I had.  So, I added them to the back with some Kona Tarragon, which added a whole 6 pounds to my quilt!  :)
Kona solids challenge
I quilted it with a maze/blocky meandering style free motion quilting pattern, and bound it with Kona Ash, which was perfect because it framed the quilt without taking away from the color in the middle.
So, 42 pounds in the front.
6 pounds in the back.
Thus the title, the 48 pound quilt.
Now looking for a 48 pound baby to give it to.  :)
Kona Solids Challenge quilt
Thanks for stopping by!

Photobucket

17 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh no! I don't want to be that baby's mother!! LOL

The quilt is gorgeous!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Beautiful quilt and great pattern! Thank you for sharing!

Carla said...

You really stepped up to the challenge and made an amazing quilt! That is going to be one big baby!

Mary Menzer said...

Love your quilt. Usually that is how much the baby weighs by the time I get the 'baby' quilt to them!

beaquilter said...

LOVE the quilt! and that's the quilting I want to do on my husband's barcode quilt, or more of a curcuit board feel from leah day... don't know yet.... this one is sooo cool!

randi--i have to say said...

this is an amazing quilt!

pinsandneedles said...

Love it! simple, bright and all round lovely!

Debbie said...

oh I really like this!! Very very fun!!

Gill said...

What a great quilt! I will be trying this!!

Michele T said...

I am totally in love with this quilt!! Would love to make one similar... thanks for inspiring and sharing.

Needled Mom said...

Very nice and I like the quilting she did on it.

Jan said...

Just love this one!

**nicke... said...

my little boy is 28 lbs... you could give it to him and i would be sooo happy happy happy because I LOVE THIS QUILT! i want to marry it.

Silke Scheller said...

Oh I like this! Unfortunately no 48 pound baby...

Clares Place said...

What a beautiful fresh and stylish quilt. Fantastic design! I am a new follower. Thanks for your beautiful blog!

What Comes Next? said...

what a gorgeous quilt! I am inspired to make a similar one.

Anna said...

love this, so stunning. and wow, way to rise up to that challenge, I get creative block when I'm challenged with specific restrictions. beautiful job!!! :)