Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Solids Quilt from Pippa Patchwork


Meet today's feature, Pippa from Pippa Patchwork.  Talk about creative...take a look at her gallery!  It was very fun to look through Pippa's work, she's original, colorful and you can tell she loves to create!!  I've loved looking at her work and how she uses solids, it's fabulous. I've never done an all solids quilt but she makes it look so fun!!!  Also make sure to see Pippa's flickr and Etsy shop :)
So I decided to turn over a new leaf and get in touch with my frugal side over the next few months (blame it on an absurdly large bunny vet bill and fondness for Sonia Rykiel clothing that I can’t really afford). There are certain non-negotiables– including unlimited monthly yoga and truffle cheese from Whole Foods– but I’m trying to cut back on some of the excess in my life. Now, like any fanatic quilter, I don’t believe you can ever really have too much fabric, but I decided to challenge myself to make good use of the abundant stash and scraps I currently have. I hate waste and hence have a pretty full scrap basket so I spent the past few days transforming all my leftover bits and pieces into this lap quilt.

Those would be 2″ squares and strips ranging from 1″-2″. So yes, it took quite a while. But I can say without exaggeration that it’s one of my new favorites. And using up so many scraps (believe it or not, I didn’t use them all!) was immensely gratifying. It was even more fun than a fabric shopping spree, believe it or not.
Now I remember why I save all those little bits and pieces. Totally worth it.
I even used scraps for the binding.

I had so much fun taking it out into the fall weather, photographing its brightness against the neutral surroundings– and it’s now up in my Etsy store.

I think I’m going to continue down this path for a while, with the goal of not purchasing any new fabric (except for commissioned work) until January. It just feels like the right time of year to appreciate what I have, to explore the possibilities within limited means and see where it takes me.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh my! Oh wow! That is superlative!!

Laura said...

I was going to say what she said!! but Sunni and I are sharing a brain at the moment. The gallery is amazing. I feel some solid projects coming up! Thanks for sharing such an amazing blog.

Lynette said...

That is so cool!!!

Eileen said...

Love the colors! Very nice!

beaquilter said...

that is SOOO cool! love it. I don't have hardly any solids in my stash, I tend to use them very quickly.

randi--i have to say said...

this is a seriously amazing quilt!

Needled Mom said...

I'm glad you went frugal so we can enjoy such a wonderful creation.

Emily said...

beautiful!!!

pcflamingo said...

Wowie zowie! That is great! That's what I would call poke-your-eyes-out bright and I love love love it!

Pieces to Love said...

Very Pretty, I can't wait to see what else you churn out, from your scraps.