Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 25, 2013

Beehive quilt from Hey sis look what I made....

We got this great submission from Willit, from the blog Hey Sis look what I made. I am impressed with this quilt and the story behind it. Make sure to read the Eating frogs post to make sense of her frog reference. Cute. Anyhow,  here is the Beehive quilt finale post:

I'm feeling very French, eating frogs.

Here is frog #1 and it's finished! Woohoo! It only took 2 years and two months, but finally I have made my very first quilt! Look at me, everyone, I'm a quilter...




And here it is in it's natural habitat...




It was really, really difficult trying to take a decent picture, none of these photos show what the quilt really looks like. When it was outside hanging on the fence it was too bright to show detail, and pulled in such a way that it looked much more wrinkly than when it is on a bed...




... but on the bed it was dark and shadowy...




... See those two dark spots in the upper left hand corner of the quilt in the picture above? I think that may be blood stains from a pin pick. I hope it washes out.

You may remember back in July I was just about done, so what took me so long to get it finished?!!! Well, I thought the quilt looked too flat and dull and boring, so I wanted to add a bit more interest to it. I hand quilted the 'spaces' of the beehive box with hexagons, to give them a different texture to the 'wood' of the beehive box...




... The blue dots and marks were made with a fabric marker that should wash out.

I also added some hand quilting to two corners of the blue-green border. The border was meant to represent the grass that the beehive box is sitting on, but the fact that it is pretty blue and had no texture meant that it looked nothing like grass and was just an odd choice of background colour. Anyway, so I quilted two corners, the top left and the bottom right, with different length stitches going in all different directions, to hint at the idea of grass...




I also quilted a bee onto the centre of the beehive frame, even though no quilting was necessary there...




... I'm not sure if I like it or not...




... I've considered unpicking it, but the idea was to add more interest to the quilt, and whether it looks good or not, whether it clashes too much or not, it certainly does make the quilt less boring, so I think it will stay. First quilts are allowed to be filled with mistakes and experimentations, aren't they?

Now, if you're looking at this quilt and wondering what on Earth I was thinking with the design, well, I was attempting to make a quilt of a beehive box with one frame pulled out and placed on top - kind of like this...

http://www.northwoodsapiaries.com/Pictures/Products/AssembledWoodFramesWithWaxCoatedPlasticFoundation.JPG

... but a birds-eye view. It is a gift for a beekeeper, so he'll get it :)
Woohoo! Woohoo! WOOHOO!

More posts on the Beehive quilt

- Willit Neverend

Photobucket

8 comments:

Thearica said...

Bravo on a job WELL DONE for your first quilt! You are well on your way now!

To get that blood stain out, put some of your saliva on your finger and rub... it will take a few spits so to speak but it will come out... Then launder your quilt with some gentle soap and on a gentle cycle in your washer.. Or do like I do and take it to the cleaners so they can wash it in their large washers with no dashers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Thearica.

Someone else suggested the spit trick, too, and it worked a treat. Great advice.

Unknown said...

Terrific quality publish. I adore simply how much inforamtion one can have from your world wide web. And with regards to producing money and running a blog, you have some good content on right here.
you are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that youre doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. youve done a magnificent job on this topic!
Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I think the quilted bee is actually one of my favorite things about this quilt!! It added such charm.

Kristen said...

My grandfather was a beekeeper and I totally got it. Once then pen washes out that bee will look terrific!!! I used to love watching him set up the frames in the garage and eat the natural honey in the fall. Miss that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Val and Kirsten. I'm still uncertain about the bee, even now that the quilt has been washed and sent, but I think at least it added a little bit of interest visually.

Kirsten, I'm so glad you got it :)

Taylor Bara said...

This is how https://get-thesis.com/blog/how-to-choose-a-thesis-topic to choose a right topic for thesis paper.

Jim Rhodes said...

It was nice to see this. You are really creative. Good job.