Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 13, 2010

Fresh Lemons Stepping Stones Quilt

Today we've got a darling and happy quilt by Faith from Fresh Lemons.  It is called Stepping Stones Quilt.  She has so many darling finished quilts, so fun to gaze into.  She even sells these in her cute Etsy shop, so make sure to check it out.  Here's her finished quilt:

Believe it or not, I finished the Stepping Stones quilt ahead of my weekend goal. I stitched on the binding last night while we were in the basement under tornado warnings. Not a horrible way to spend an evening of threatening storms.

This quilt was inspired by the “Just Sweet Enough” quilt in the book Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. The version in the book uses soft almost-solids and wider white sashing between columns. But when I saw it I was struck by it’s beauty in simplicity. It is similar to a coin quilt.


I had a pretty good variety of Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks fabrics and thought something similar would be a great way to showcase those tiny prints. I’m not sure anyone can resist the softness of these voile fabrics. They have such a luxurious feel to them….almost like silk as I move them from the washer to the dryer. The rectangles are cut in random lengths, with a width of 2.5″. The white rectangles between them are 2″ x 2.5″. The white columns are 2.25″ wide.


The patterned strips I made ended up being too long for the width of the quilt, so I cut off the bottom and incorporated it into the back of the quilt. I added large sections of voile on either side. It is beyond soft, the perfect cuddle blanket.


It is quilted free motion with Dream Cotton Request Loft batting, leaving it completely lightweight and crinkly. It measures 36″ x 54″ and is available in my Etsy shop.


Thanks Faith!!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

What a beautiful quilt. I would love to make one. I love your label also. How do you do that?

Heather said...

Pretty bright colors! Love it!

grammajill said...

Love the quilt. Everything about it!

Pup Pup said...

so pretty. Love the mix of fabrics!

Bellgirl said...

How beautiful and eye-catching! This as a great adaptation of the Just Sweet Enough pattern- I liked that one, but this one shows how I could make the basic design concept work for me. Thanks!