Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 20, 2010

Purple Wonky Quilt by Merry Made Quilts

Rebecca from Merry Made Quilts created this oh so happy purple quilt for her grandpa. It really caught my eye because I've been going back to the days were I love purple!  I love the look of this wonky bento box, very fun and refreshing.  And what's more?  This girl likes to hand quilt!  Amazing! Hop on over to her blog to read about her love of fabrics, quilting and her cute kiddos.

Never, mind the crazy baby in the background!!

Over the course of about 3 months (mostly evenings) I hand quilted this lapsized quilt. I really enjoy the look of a hand quilted quilt. They just look so much more cuddly!
I made this one from scraps of purple mostly from Joanne's fabric, some from my mom's stash, some from mine. I love the feel of a "wonky" quilt so that's why I chose to do a variation of a wonky bento box.
There are a ton of examples of this online so after some blog cruising I decided to make it up as I went! I made this one for my Grandpa because he LOVES purple. That's his favorite color and I decided it would make great payment for a wooden quilt hanging he recently made for me!
I think my favorite part of a finish (besides getting to start the next) is the photo shoot!!
I just love the feeling of accomplishing something!

Linking to amylouwho
Thanks Rebecca.  I still can't believe you hand quilt...so talented. :)
 
AND be sure to check back Monday!!  Some of you may have noticed our new sponsor in the corner, Ladybug Quilt Shop...she has an absolutely amazing FABRIC GIVEAWAY for you on Monday.  And there will be more than one winner, so check back!

7 comments:

Debbie Sews Retro said...

What a pretty quilt. And I agree with you--hand quilting is so much nicer.

Debbie Sews Retro said...

I forgot to tell you that I am visiting from New Friend Friday and The Girl Creative.

Paulette said...

What a striking quilt! I love the hand quilting on it. I've always liked the bento box. It's on my "someday" list. I bet your grandpa loves it!

Michelle said...

Absolutely lovely! I'm rather partial to purple myself. :-) What a fun quilt.

Michelle said...

Absolutely lovely! I'm rather partial to purple myself. :-) What a fun quilt.

SewSara said...

wow -- hand quilted?
do you have quilting frames, or can you do it w/o them?
i don't have frames but would love to hand quilt something.

it's so cute that your grandpa's fave color is purple.

Bellgirl said...

Wow, it looks wonderful! And I love your grandpa's 'quilt' too, that's so cool!