Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 22, 2010

Cara and a Quilt-a-Long

Heather and I always love checking out Fabric Tuesday links getting inspired by all of you!  A few weeks back Cara from Me? A Mom? Had a beautiful almost finished quilt, so we made her promise to send it our way when it was all the way done!!  And not only that...she's turned it into a quilt-a-long for all of us lucky girls (and one boy? two?).  Here's Cara:

I'm just starting a quilt along and tutorial of the pattern Urban Lattice on my blog I think it's going to a lot of fun!


This quilt was made for my husband who has long wanted a "manly" quilt that was all his. Not only was it to be masculine looking but he also wanted it to be a really large lap size. His only request was that it have lots of blue.


I went round and round trying to decide what pattern to use.


Then, after doing a baby-sized string quilt for my daughter -- and loving the paper piecing process -- I decided to think about ways I could modify a string quilt block.

The result was a design I call "Urban Lattice." I love the simple geometric nature of the design and so does my husband.


The finished size is 72 x 84 -- the largest I've ever made before by FAR. I machine quilted the entire thing myself and thought at times my lil' ol' basic Janome might start smoking What a workout! I cursed. I laughed. I got charlie horses in my shoulders. But it was all worth it.


Here and here are posts where I talked about this quilt.

Thanks for your interest in featuring my quilt. I love your blog.

Thanks Cara!  And I just have to say...I may have gasped tonight when I saw how close your kids are in age!!  But they are ridiculously cute so that makes up for any lack of sleep, right? :)

Make sure to stop back tomorrow to show off your fabric finishes on Fabric Tuesday!

Photobucket

2 comments:

kelly said...

that is gorgeous!!! i've got THREE baby quilts to make in the next few months... this may be a good pattern to go with :)

Heather said...

I love this too. Love the color combinations. Wish I didn't have tons of projects going on so I could join the quilt a long.