Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Castle Peeps Circle quilt from Splendorfalls...

This quilt comes to us from Mary Clair of the fabulous splendorfalls one of our block party winners. I really like how these circles really pop out against the black. Check our her website. Super cute projects like this pillow. And her sewing and quilt link is a fun look through... Just a bright cheery quilt for a Monday morning.

 It's finally done.  Phew.
This was one of those quilts that evolved into it's final form as opposed to executing a vision.  First it was going to be raw edge solid Castle Peeps circles.  Then it was appliqued solid Peeps circles.  Then it was back to raw edges again but I had already cut the solid circles, which now were too big since I wasn't going to applique them.  That's when I decided to quarter them and sew them back together.
I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to?

  I bit the bullet and free motion quilted this one; all I can say is thank goodness it's hard to see black on black!  It was my first real free motion adventure outside some practice swatches.  I joked with my St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild friends that they weren't allowed to look at it up close.{wink}
It's more practical that perfect and I think that's okay.


I do think the overall quilt turned out pretty cute though!
Can anyone tell me why black fabric is such a fuzz magnet?  Seriously!  Didn't help with the raw edges either; I think I used an entire lint roller on this thing.


I used a cheerful green Kona for the binding and pieced in my practice appliqued circles for the back! 

My sister in law is the recipient of this quilt and I'm happy for her to have it.


Photobucket

5 comments:

Christine said...

Such a lot of work. I'm glad you persevered to finish it. I enjoyed reading the steps that the design went through. I get locked in a box and when it's not working out, I'm stuck. Thanks for the inspiration. Greetings from Canada.

the gathering girls said...

It's adorable...and I love the back!

Angel said...

Hello! Love this blog...I'm a follower!

Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

What a great quilt. I love Castle Peeps too. I think the backing turned out especially nice also.

SewSara said...

that's seriously awesome. love the raw edges, love the black background.

(meg - you gave me some of that cute knight/princess fabric!)