Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 16, 2012

Simple stripes boy quilt from Bijou lovely...


Holly from Bijou lovely has a truly great blog of quilting, crafting, sewing, and decorating among other things, but mainly quilting.  A very talented, creative and fun girl she is! Just check out Bijou lovely creative Quilt finishes , be sure to visit these great tutorials, I have pinned a few myself! What a fun baby boy quilt this turned out to be...

Here's the simple stripes quilt I spent most of my time working on this past week.  Our friends Sara and Ryan are having a baby boy in April, and their baby shower was this past Saturday.  Of course I waited until six days before the shower to start making their gift!  Why I procrastinate so much, I'll never understand.  
Yes, this quilt has a mustache on it!  My husband made me do it.  When I told him I was making a quilt for them, he asked if I could add a mustache to the quilt.  This new baby boy has a grandpa that is known for his mustache.  The baby shower even had a mustache theme, so this fit in quite well!
I used lots of basic yellows, grays, blues, reds, and greens in this quilt that were slightly desaturated.  The backing is a Denise Schmidt print from JoAnns.  I bound it in some Kona Medium Gray.  I quilted it with wavy lines (my new favorite!) in a light gray thread.  The wavy line quilting is so fast and gives this quilt a little bit of texture.  I appliqued the mustache on after the quilting was finished.
So there's my first finish of February!  It definitely won't be the last.



Photobucket

14 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks great. The moustache is the perfect touch. Great quilt for a little guy.

Jenny Garland said...

This is so fun! Love, love, love it.

Svetlana said...

Oh, what a great quilt, love the moustache, just perfect.

Cherie said...

Love the quilt and the moustache is so cool! =D

Tsoniki said...

The mustache is such a great touch! I love it. And I love the wavy quilting too.

pinsandneedles said...

Very cute idea to add the mustache. Great job!

**nicke... said...

i love this quilt! holly is so talented! her quilting is so great and it gives the quilt such movement!

jane said...

Love the way it's quilted.

Susan said...

Love the mustache.

Pippa Armbrester said...

The mustache is too much- I just love it.

Anonymous said...

I love that mustache on it. Too cute! Your curvy quilting lines are exactly right for the strips.

holly | bijou lovely said...

Thanks so much for posting my mustache quilt :)

the girlfriend gap said...

this is very cute. i'm trying to do my own quilting for little quilts. I've been doing a lot of staight line quilting simply because i can't get the hang of stippling. did you use a walking foot for the quilting? Janita

Lynne said...

Simple but effective. Love the choice of bright colours.