Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Robot Mom Sews- Ginorma Churn dash selvage quilt!

Robot Mom sews is a fun funny gal that I (Heather) have had the privilege to hang out with a few times. She makes me laugh, and laughing and sewing are my two favorite things, instant friendship! Anyhow, she makes some awesome quilts! Here is one that I love. Be sure to check out Robot Mom Sews for more fun quilts, also, check out her Etsy shop for some cuteness...
Ginorma-Churn

Yesterday I decided I was going to make a Giant Churn Dash quilt, entirely out of my selvages.  I ♥ me some selvages.   When I saw  Ella's Cottage make one, I knew I had to dive right in. :)  Be sure to check hers out, she also gave tips on how to make it!


I used everything I had in my stash.  People, let me tell you that this is a first for me!  I usually have a project in mind, but have to buy stuff for it.  Yes, yes, I have tons of delicious goodies in my stash, but I like to match my goodies with projects.  And if the perfect project doesn't come along for that fabric, it's held in limbo until said perfect project arises. ;)

Instagram pic of my selvage stash
As you can see, I hoard collect selvages.  I love them. Especially the cute and unique ones.  Well, who am I kidding...if it has a selvage, I keep it.


I went out of my comfort zone and tried not to be too fussy on which selvages I chose.  I just grabbed what fit.  I used parchment paper for my template, because these blocks are biggies.  Parchment paper worked really well to sew the selvages on. 

I straight line quilted, rather organically.  Didn't want it to be too fussy.  As you can see, my lines aren't straight in most spots, so ahem, we call this 'organic' line quilting. ;)


I used some backing fabric I had for another project that didn't turn out.  Ooops...oh well, at least this backing didn't go to waste.



Photobucket

9 comments:

Catherine said...

I love the texture the selvages give it - it's really pretty.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Love churn dash block! I'm working with giant churn dashes block myself! :)

Deborah said...

Fabulous. Two of my favorite things: churn dash and selvages.

RobotMomSews said...

AGH! Love you!! Thanks for the sweet words and for featuring my churn dash quilt! You guys are the best!!

Nita said...

Oh, yummy! I have started to save my selvedges as well with no idea what to do with them - someday I will have enough to start deciding. I love what you've done. :)

Ajka said...

Wonderful, you are very smart .... I like to look at you :-)
Ajka

QuiltNut Creations said...

So fabulous!! Love that mustache selvage

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

Your work will be popular and from now on you should keep doing it.ดูหนังออนไลน์