Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 27, 2013

Manly Unicorn In a Bed of Flowers Quilt finish...

Today is my (Heather) day for a Quilt Story. This is the story of the Manly Unicorn Quilt. It all started about a month ago. I was browsing my Instagram feed and came across @thesewingchick. She was at a fabric store and found a secret stash of the very sold out Heather Ross Far Far Away line. I put aside all social etiquette and graces, and begged her on Instagram to buy me some. And not just a little, a lot! (I think that pile in the back is mine!) Bless her heart, without even knowing me at all, Tessa (The Sewing Chick)  risked buying all this fabric, crossing her fingers that I pay her back $300! My husband was all nervous, "you are paypal-ing a stranger $300, hoping she will actually send you this fabric?" I said, "yes, of course! what could go wrong?"  I wasn't nervous a bit! A week later a lovely package showed up at my door!

THANK YOU TESSA YOU ARE A WONDERFUL AND SUPER TALENTED FRIEND!

image borrowed from The Sewing Chick

Once I opened the package, Weston, my four year old son, went nuts! He was saying "ahhh" and "I like it!" and looked through it all with me with sincere excitement. (why is he my favorite you ask?) He grabbed onto the blue unicorn and took it straight to the sewing machind (not lying) and said "make me a quilt!"



The next day out of the blue in the carpool line he said "I love your new fabric Mommy." Melted my heart. He asked me a few more times to make him a quilt. What was I to do? I started immediately. 

But there was a bit of a problem, his favorite print was a Unicorn laying on a bed of flowers! (I think all he saw was a horse, his favorite animal)  So I went through my stash and used mostly Sarah Jane's Children at Play boy line. Perfect!



He pushed the petal for the majority of the quilt top construction! I would just tell him to start and stop.  He kept thinking it was finished several times along the way. I had to explain to him basting, backing, quilting, binding. It required a lot of patience on his part! But he was good. 

I decided to practice my free motion quilting skills along the way. I did a different stitch in each border segment. 


Do you think he is pleased?


I had a lot of fun making it, knowing if was going to this darling boy who begged for it!



When I wrapped him up in it he told me it was "snug and toasty" Should I rent him out? He is the best! Love my little Moose Man. 
Photobucket

35 comments:

Hilary said...

he is too precious! The quilt looks awesome :) Very manly & perfect for a little boy.

Turid said...

A good story, a nice quilt and a pretty boy. That's like a Kinder Egg.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Love it! I have kids that pedal push while helping me sew too, and my four-year-old gets almost as excited about fabric as I do. Love the unicorns and the children at play line. I just finished a quilt with a lot of children at play, although different ones than you chose.

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Such an adorable little boy wrapped in a perfect quilt!!

Nicole said...

What a lovely quilt! And it's great that he convinced you to make him a quilt - watch out though when he's sixteen and wants the car and 100$!

Southern Gal said...

Cute quilt and boy! My son loves to push the pedal, too.

Steffi´s Candy Quilts said...

Aww, such a sweet story, and what a beautiful quilt for your cute little man. :-)

Kim said...

He is just so CUTE! I miss those days when my kids asked me to sew them stuff.

Melissa at My Fabric Relish said...

Haha...I love it! He is just too cute! Makes it all worth it!

Chocolate Dipped Quilts said...

Love those sweet boys! So glad a have a few ;)

Snowcatcher said...

The best part of the whole project (other than him picking the fabric) is helping you quilt it! Gosh, what a treasured time together!

Mary W Quilts said...

OMG! That is the best fabric enabler story I have ever heard. The Sewing Chick is awesome. Did she buy it all? If not, I need to know where she got it? I have been looking everywhere for some of that Heather Ross Far and Away!

claudia said...

That young man is a keeper! What a sweetie pie he is.
The quilt is adorable...but not quite as adorable as your son!

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt story! Your son is precious. There is nothing at all wrong a boy that lover a unicorn on a bed of flowers... Too cute.

Anonymous said...

Loves (silly autocorrect!)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! He looks so happy with his new beautiful quilt! Your new fabrics are just adorable! The backing of the quilt seems to be perfect for snuggling! x Teje

Nikki said...

That's a great quilt story!

RobotMomSews said...

Love this!!! There has to be man-unicorns for the unicorn ladies... He totally has the right idea. Unicorns are not just for girls!! ;) it turned out so awesome, I love it! I'm happy I got to see this quilt in the process for this sweet boy. ;)

Swedish Scrapper said...

Fabulous Quilt Story! Quilty internet friends are the best, and your boy is both practical and wonderful! Super sweet quilt you made, and really very nice of you to share your precious with him!

Unknown said...

Great quilt story! Plus love the backing!

Jenn said...

Tessa is great and super talented! And what an awesome quilt and boy you have!!

CathyK said...

Awwww!!! What a darling boy and an awesome mom! Looks like you made a great new friend online, as well! Quilters are the best people!!

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

Thanks for the kind words, I was happy to share the bounty with you! Funny how the husbands are skeptical - don't they understand the generosity of the quilting community?! The quilt is gorgeous (love the quilting) and so special that he loves it so much!!

Heidi Staples said...

So sweet! I wish I'd been paying attention on Instagram that day!!!

Michele said...

That was the perfect story to start my day. Thank you for sharing.

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Really enjoyed reading your story about making a quilt for your son! How sweet that he help sew it too! Great looking fabric too that you took the chance (had great faith) buying from sort of a stranger but it seems that quilting is a great connector of friends!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

love the fabrics, the quilt is adorable and HE is adorable x 10! :)

Mary Menzer said...

Well my heart just melted - just so you know.

muhammad asim said...

Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

bradmaddox said...

The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
LolsGag.Com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

Your work will be popular and from now on you should keep doing it.ดูหนังออนไลน์