Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christine from Describe Happy...first quilt!

Christine from Describe Happy made an amazing first quilt! No simple blocks, or strip quilt for this girl, she just dove right in to the quilting world. Love this quilt, love the colors, good work Christine!

I have gotten so used to looking things up on my blog now that I nearly have two years of content.  I love how easy it is to find old projects, see progress on things, and find archived Katie photos.  So, when I went to look for my pink and orange girly quilt and didn't find it I was puzzled.



I think it was a timing issue.  I started this blog in February 2009 and finished the quilt in March 2009 -- so I can see how it was maybe left off.

Why am I on this tangent?  I am planning a new quilting project and was looking back on my previous projects for inspiration.  That's when it hit me that I hadn't properly shown you this quilt yet. 

Let's fix this... introducing "Looking for Guinevere." 

The name is inspiration from my dog Katie who's original name was to be Guinevere.  You see the breeder gave all their pups royal names -- funny right?  And making this quilt was like the adventure we took for Katie to join our family... bits of this, a little bit random and lucky, not quite perfect, but we couldn't be happier to have her with us!  And the same goes for this quilt!

Here are a few of the blocks in progress.  So fun to see them come to life in the colors and fabrics I picked out.


I remember when I was working on this quilt.  It was cold.  And I enjoyed just dedicating myself to running into my command center (office) every night and working on this until my eyelids were too droopy to stay open. 

I just couldn't get enough.  So, when I saw the top sewn together for the first time I knew I was in love.  This is my first quilt.  My first large fabric piece.  The spark that ignited the intense love of all things soft and fabric!


At the time the largest space I had to work on was a small card table that I set up in my office.  I'm not sure I remember what was under the quilt at the time to cause that bulge, but I am guessing it was heaps of fabric, scissors, and books.


I originally did a quilting pattern only on the outer two most rows.  At the time it was all I could fit in before an art show that I entered this piece into.


Now, nearly 1.5 years later I have this hanging on my wall in my first house... and I realize just how much I love it!

Here are some fresh outdoor pictures taken in the cold November air. 






And there it is.  My first fabric love.

I have since started a queen-king size quilt for our bed and am ready to pick that project up again.  I am also working on a lap size quilt this week for a special person in my life who could stand to be a little bit warmer... a little bit more cuddled.

Quilting certainly sparked and re-sparked my love affair with fabrics and the comforting hum of the sewing machine!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

De-lurking to chime on in...

This was a FIRST quilt? really? WOW!!!! Keep quilting... you've got serious talent!!!!

Christie describeHappy said...

Heather and Megan, thank you again so much for featuring my quilt today. I have a hard time expressing how amazing this feels!!

And yes Lois, it's my first. I'm a glutton for punishment... I had made up some practice blocks just to try out a few shapes, but then dove right in. The start line far from being in sight and I've never looked back! Thank you for de-lurking sweetie!!

Jocelyn said...

woo-hoo! Great quilt Christine!

C said...

Holy cow! That is your first quilt - I am impressed.

Sylvia said...

Wow.. great job, it is beautiful.