Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dr. Suess quilt for a sweet, 2 year old with leukemia...

Sarah from Confessions of a fabric addict made this super darling Dr. Suess quilt. LOVE IT. Go check out Sarah's blog, fun stuff...This story is really sweet, the quilt is made for a sweet 2 year old with leukemia...read more here...

Some of you may have seen the teaser of the Dr. Seuss quilt I showed earlier this week.  I promised a full post about that quilt, and here it is!



This quilt has an interesting story.  Last Tuesday in my blogpost I happened to mention in passing that I had received a request for a quilt for a 2-year old girl who had just been diagnosed with leukemia, and that I was off to look for the perfect toddler fabric.  Not long after that, I received an e-mail from Cathy at Wondrous Woven Fabrics saying that she would send me some Dr. Seuss fat quarters for this quilt.  Wow!  Friday rolls around, and there's a lovely squishie in the mail, with Dr. Seuss fat quarters and some solids from Cathy's stash!

Using Crazy Quilt Mom's Fair & Square pattern and adapting it a little bit to make it square, I paired the Dr. Seuss prints with Kona Snow to make the front of this quilt.  By the way, this pattern works up really quickly, both cutting and sewing - great for a quick gift!!

Then came the back.  I still had large pieces of the Dr. Seuss fabrics left, so I cut 10 1/2" squares, working in some orange, green and yellow from my stash to fill out the spaces.


I love this back - it's so bright and cheerful, and very different from the front. Really gives two quilts for one!!

Then on to quilting.......  Because of the way this quilt is laid out, I had to think creatively!  I wasn't sure I was happy with the starkness of the white, so I pulled some shiny caribbean blue thread out of my stash and quilted in the white strips and squares.  Those ended up being mostly vertical stitching lines.  After doing that, I liked the look, but wasn't sure that it had enough quilting to stand up under lots of use, so I threaded white into the machine and did cross-wise organic lines.  I think it really gives it a Dr. Seuss-y look, don't you?



My granddaughter saw this quilt after it was done and immediately started picking out her favorite Dr. Seuss characters.  She was very concerned about where this quilt was going and asked me lots of questions about the little girl in the hospital.  From her reaction, I think this quilt will be a big hit with its recipient!  I just hope it brings a little brightness and comfort into her day......  ;-)


Photobucket

14 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

aww. Okay, i shouldn't be reading this stuff at 4am. I'm totally tearing up. This is so sweet of you and Cathy at Wonderous Woven. I know my 2 year old would go crazy for that quilt. That will definitely brighten up that girl's holidays in the hospital.

Naturally Carol said...

I love this special quilt. The bright cheerful colours and characters are georgeous but still come second to the love and care for the sick little girl that went into every cut and stitch...well done!

Carla said...

You guys are the best for making this quilt for her! I'm all choked up just reading this post. She is going to love that quilt! It's definitely going to bright up her day.

Christie describeHappy said...

Really an amazing thing you did here! That quilt would make anyone smile and I'm really touched that it's finding a home with a little girl. So touching!!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

What a great story!! And what kid (and adult) doesn't love Dr. Suess! I'm 40 and still do! Just makes you feel like a kid again. Jenn

the gathering girls said...

Okay, so thats the true spirit of Christmas! What a beautiful story!

EllensCreativePassage said...

Darling quilt...that should make the toddler feel good!

Charity said...

How very precious, including the one to soon be underneath it. May this bring happiness and joy to her.

Emily said...

Thanks for making the day of a child with cancer. Each day for them is a blessing. I'm sure they'll enjoy this quilt completely!

Em said...

I have been crying all afternoon as I enjoy people's blogs and the stories and I finish my day with this one, I need 2 kleenexes. I cannot imagine the mom and day of the 2 year old and how their hears will burst when they open your quilt gift. you are a GODWINK! and then to receive the fabrics, the reason why I blog- comraderie, support, friendships, AMAZING! love to you blog neighbor! May you have a blessed Christmas season and coming years!!!!

Amy said...

It is a darling quilt! A sweet gift for someone who will get lots of comfort from it.

C said...

Wow! What a gift.

สล็อตเว็บตรง said...

PG SLOT ทุนน้อยก็รวยได้ แม้ว่าคุณจะมีทุนน้อย แต่อยากเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์นั่นไม่อยาก​เลย เพราะในแต่รายการใช้เงินลงทุนน้อยมากถึงมากที่สุด pg slot ไม่ต้องลงทุนเยอะก็มีโอกาสรวยได้

ninja slot said...

wow slot 888 โบนัสแตกดีแต่ละวัน ได้รางวัลใหญ่ไม่จำกัด ฝาก-ถอนไวที่สุดเพียงแค่ 5 วินาทีเพียงแค่นั้นเองลงทะเบียนวันนี้รับเครดิตฟรี 100 บาท pg slot เว็บที่มีเกมให้เล่นมากมาย