Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thought and Found vintage green strings quilt...

Sheila from Thought and Found made this darling string quilt for her sister, my sister would never do that for me! I wonder if Megan or I will ever make the other a quilt....hmmmm, we are a little selfish that way! Anyhow, here are Sheilas finished projects, her flickr photostream here, her blog is a fun mix of design, quilting, cooking and other great stuff, a fun read. Make sure to head over!

Another quilt finally has its binding!  This quilt, similar to the Tic Tac Toe quilt, has been sitting in my UFO pile for months, pieced and quilted and 90% finished.  I even had the fabric for the binding, ready and waiting.  I’ve always been motivated by a deadline, and this time it was the fact that my sister was hosting Thanksgiving this year, and I wanted to be able to take it to her.
Vintage Green Strings
I am really pleased with the finished product.  When I first started out I wasn’t so sure that I loved all the fabrics, but this is a memory quilt of sorts, since I was using the leftover bits from the lids of the wedding favours from my sister’s wedding last September.  But as I started piecing the blocks I really fell in love with the way that things were looking.  And then I started to get seriously bored with sewing these blocks.  I love how string quilts look, but it will be a while before I start another one!
Vintage Green Strings
The binding selection was the result of a consultation with the fabulous members of the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild.  I was so unsure of what to do.  I had considered using one of the sheets from the quilt, but worried that it would be too busy.  Someone suggested yellow and pretty soon we had every bolt of yellow fabric in the shop on the table!  Kona Buttercup was the winner because it leaned ever-so-slightly towards green, while still appearing yellow when it was next to the quilt top.
Vintage Green Strings
Of course, the best part is that Rachel and Sean love it. And that was really the whole point. :)

Photobucket

7 comments:

Lynne said...

I can understand why they love it - it's a beautiful quilt. And the binding sets it off so well.

Tatkis said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love it's spring green colours!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Sheila said...

Hi Heather and Megan! Thanks so much for such a lovely feature of my work!

I'm not sure that my sister will ever make a quilt for me either. ;) But she DOES cook for me whenever I come to visit (she's an amazing cook), and she is the cheese buyer for the high-end foodie shop where she works and often recruits us to "test" new products, so I guess it all evens out! (Although my gifts are calorie-free...)

Heidi Grohs said...

So awesome!! Great story!

Katy said...

This is gorgeous! Such lovely fresh colours :)

Katy
x

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

AnnieK said...

That's just beautiful!