Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 16, 2012

String Quilt from Duke Says Sew What?


Kris from Duke Say's Sew What? is a very talented quilter, no doubt.  We've featured her many times on Fabric Tuesday, she always has a great project going!  But this string quilt we're featuring today that she made for her mom has a lot more meaning.  Kris' family has been through a lot lately and this quilt will serve as comfort for her mom.  After you read the story stop by Duke Says Sew What?  and see some of her great projects!

If you're a regular here, you know that I have been working on finishing a string quilt to send off to my Mom.  They say a quilt is a hug - and this is a hug for my Mom, who had a stroke recently.


There have been a few health issues around here recently.  It started with my oldest son getting gasoline in his eyes.  We called my Mom, who works for an eye doctor and she recommended immediate medical care so off we went to the ER.  (He's fine now.) I had already been experiencing a tightness in my chest, but the day after his ER visit, I started having electrifying zaps of pain from under my arm across my breast.  I called my Mom, who of course always has a way of calming me down when I get rather anxious about things.  I thought I had the symptoms of breast cancer - I really didn't know what those are, I just knew I had a pain like no other.  My Mom talked me through what I think was an anxiety attack over the chest pain - I was pacing the house in circles, mainly because I couldn't sit down since sitting down made it worse.  I could only sit on a hard chair.


 After a trip to urgent care I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve and given pain and anti-inflammatory medications.  Good thing I went in because it only got worse before it got better.  By the next day I could hardly sit in the car to drive.  The pain came in waves and I couldn't help but gasp or sometimes scream!  What a nutcase I had become! Just ask my husband!


That's when my Dad called to say my Mom was in the hospital and they were running tests to see if it was anxiety or a stroke.  She was feeling odd and couldn't speak in a normal manner.  When the doctors asked her if she was worried about anything in particular, she said "my daughter is having pain in her chest".  OH NO!  Now SHE was worried about ME!  I was very worried for her - but did my best not to cry because crying uses your chest muscles and mine were on fire!  What a mess this had become!  The thought of sitting for a 3.5 hour plane ride to go be with her was out of the question.


Test showed a blood clot in her brain but it was small, and physically she was not experiencing any problems.  The only challenge for her was her words. As it turned out, this was not an anxiety attack but I still felt badly for any part I played in it.  



That night I got a call from my Mom.  She was in the hospital room by herself - Dad had just gone home.  She wanted to let me know that she was okay and for me not to worry.  She told me this in words that I completely understood, but some of them weren't quite right.  



We've since been told that Mom was extremely fortunate to have had so little problems following this mini stroke.  She's home and doing much better.  She still gets a tad frustrated when speaking or writing, but is expected to fully recover.  She sounds better and better.

We are all so relieved that she is doing so well.  The only thing that has us all a bit sad is my parents have had to cancel their trip to come stay with us and attend Mitch's High School Graduation.  There's no where my Mom would rather be - she adores her grandchildren, but she's not ready to travel this far in a plane.  

We will be glad to have them come visit us and enjoy themselves fully when Mom is 100%.  

Until then, I made this quilt for Mom.  She loves pink so this quilt is filled with it!  Mom had a great support group of my friends praying for her and I can't thank them enough.  I'm also thankful for all of the medical staff that treated her and of course, my Dad, who is her rock!  My Dad provides a comfort to the family like no other.  

I love you Mom and Dad!

xxoo  Kris

Photobucket

11 comments:

Lynne said...

My mum has had three mini strokes but still lives alone with no assistance. I know how Kris feels so I just want her to know that it can be okay.

SisterlyLove said...

A sweet post and a beautiful quilt!

Genevieve

Susie said...

So happy for you that she is on the mend - the quilt is truly beautiful. She will love it.

doodlebugmom said...

Prayers for your family. I'm sure your mom will love that snuggly warm hug you made for her.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Blessings for your Mom and your family and prayers that she will soon feel up to a nice visit with you. The quilt is lovely. I know she will cherish it.

Cindy said...

Isn't it something how a quilt can help with the healing? Hope everyone is back to normal soon!

QuilterBee said...

Wow, I'm glad everyone is okay now. After reading your post, I wan tto send all of you a great BIG ((((HUG)))) from Tennessee! Chin up! Amie

Cherie said...

What a great and thoughtful gift for your Mother. So glad to hear she is improving everday. Love the quilt, such a great pattern and mix of colours =D

Also I've added some new fabrics into my swap shop, as well as a new one via Flickr. If you're interested feel free to check them out =D
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/cheraldines-swap-shop.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibescheraldine/sets/72157630591128322/

CathyK said...

What a wonderful gift made with lots of love. Your mom will put it around her and feel your love and hugs. Prayers for everyone!

Mary Menzer said...

I know how it feels when someone you love is suffering, but you are unable to be with them. A quilt is our way of sending our love to them. Your Mom's quilt is wonderful, and I'm so glad that everyone in your family will be ok.
Mary

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

Thank you for the feature and to all for the well wishes! My Mom is doing great! She has fully recovered since her stroke which happened early June. Thank goodness it was caught early. She loves her quilt and said she folds it a different way every day so she can see a different part of the quilt. :-)