Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 10, 2012

Doing good for do.good quilt...

Diane from "from blank pages" made this super quilt with  her quilt swap group. Cute little off center blocks, all have a little touch of orange in them. Diane has a fun "The Charming Travelers" swap, looks really fun to join. Here are a ton of her tutorials, LOVE, must pin these! Be sure to visit her blog and etsy shop.
Basically that means I finally finished the quilt for the do.Good Stitches Harmony Circle from last September! Oops! Anyway, I'm so happy with it! All the wonderful girls in the group did such a good job and finishing this makes me realize that I miss them a lot. It was a fun group! But the break has definitely been a needed one.

DSC_0526


I made up a quick tutorial for it here. And asked that everyone make blocks using 4 off center squares-in-square. And that they each include at least one orange square and one white square. Square-in-square is basically a log cabin, except that each round uses the same fabric rather than giving it the scrappy feel of the log cabin design.


DSC_0524


It's always interesting to see the variety of blocks that you get back from a bee group, never what I expect, but it's still so much fun!! I had a great time putting these together.


DSC_0533

I did some basic wavy lines across the quilt for the quilting. I still need to wash it, but I wanted it to keep a soft fluffy feel, so hopefully it works. :)


DSC_0540

I still have mixed emotions about the back, but somehow I really like it. :)


DSC_0542


p.s. Check out my new huge backyard!! I love that it has a clothes line!! I'm not so sure about hanging our clothes out there for the world to see, but hanging quilts for pictures! Yes please! :)


DSC_0537


I used the binding method that Red Pepper Quilts uses, of sewing it on the front and then pinning it on the back and sewing in the ditch on the front so it catches the back. I only missed one small section on the back, and for the most part I stayed right in the ditch! I'm so proud of myself! lol. :) As my husband said last night, a humble brag. ;) hey, everyone deserves to give themselves a pat on the back for a job well done!


DSC_0546

For some reason I went against the norm and put the label in the top corner. It just looks better on that fabric I think. Anyway, I still need to write in "Harmony Circle - Sept. 2011" on it. THEN it will be complete. :) I'm not sure where the nearest Project Linus is in these parts, so I might see if there is a family/someone in the area who could give this beauty some good love! :) I hope the Harmony girls don't mind!


Photobucket

10 comments:

Tanyia said...

this is beautiful and I absolutely love that binding! <3

needle and nest said...

Beautiful quilt and great job on the binding! I've never been able to master machine binding - I always mess it up at the corners... well, and everywhere else too! LOL

Sara said...

Clotheslines are pretty hard to come by..I did a makeshift one across two fence poles,but now you gave me the idea to stretch it on the diagonal from one corner to the other! Brain is working!!

I love all the colors in there and the orange is fantastic!

Bonus for staying in the lines while adding the binding..it is so hard sometimes to do that ya know!

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

I love it! I really like your idea of telling everyone to include and orange square and white square, so the blocks flow together.

giddy99 said...

I love it, front and back!

Carla said...

Oh so lovely! The pretty backing makes it feel like a double quilt. fun binding.

Diane Bohn said...

Thank you so much for featuring my quilt!! :)

Cherie said...

Such a gorgeous quilt! Those ladies did a great job on the blocks! Diane finished it of beautifully =D

QuiltNut Creations said...

Such a fun quilt. That binding is perfection.

KelinaLobo said...

The back of the quilt is great - I really like it. It stands on it's own, so the quilt is truly reversible.