Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 25, 2010

Blue is Blue, Star block quilt...

Morning everyone, this is from Audrie from Blue is Blue.  If you haven't checked out her blog, you must! Amazing stuff going on there. This was Audrie's first attempt at a star block quilt...(I am rather impressed!).  Beautiful work Audrie, now everyone, head over to her blog...(after you read her story of course...)
Last September, I answered a call from AmandaJean of Crazy Mom Quilts,  to make star blocks for quilts to be donated to Quilts of Valor. I immediately decided I wanted to make a block for such a good cause -- QOV gifts the donated quilts to the recuperating servicemen injured in the line of duty.


I'd never made a star block before, so of course I was nervous. But I was instantly hooked and slightly annoyed at myself that I'd only pledged to do one! So of course the obvious thing to do to rectify this was to make an entire quilt of stars.
At that time, I'd only been quilting for four months and had been afraid to use designer fabric. I'd used pre-cuts but this was my first foray into using yardage from my LQS. Saying that I was nervous cutting into these lovely fabrics is a severe understatement.








The fabrics, by Amy Butler, Heather Bailey, Howard Marcus and Tina Givens, are just lovely and sit so beautifully together. I named it Stars Align because this quilt just came together so easily. This is still one of my favourite quilts and every time I come across a picture of it, I can't help but smile. Every time I think about making a star quilt, this one pops in my head :)




I knew I couldn't keep it when I made it since it was too little for a lap quilt. At Christmas, it went to live with a lady in Sydney, Australia who gifted it to her little one. Being that I grew up in Australia, it thrills me that this quilt now lives in a place I still call home.



linking to amylouwho

10 comments:

Larri said...

Just lovely! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Your color choices are so pretty! I'd say you have the star block down pat:)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Beautiful quilt--great story!

Miri said...

Lovely quilt! Lovely story!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Just love what you did!

~Laurie~ said...

I love this blog!! What a beautifully simple quilt - I'm off to visit Audrie :)

Heather said...

Thank you Audrie. Beautiful!

Carla said...

It's so soft and airy and beautiful!

Kristen said...

Very nice star quilt. And... one of your first efforts!! Wow!

Dayna said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I absolutely love the colors and the prints!