Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Diary of a Quilter, so sad...

Get your kleenex folks, this quilt and story are sure to make you cry. We don't want to give share any of the story, you  just need to read it yourself.  This is from Amy from the quilting diaries, an amazing blog you will want to check out for tons of inspiration!  Thank you Amy, this is a truly beautiful quilt for a beautiful baby boy.

This past November I received a phone call that shook me.  My dear friend, Sarah, had suffered a stroke while delivering her first baby and was in intensive care.  As I talked with my husband and other friends across the globe who knew Sarah, I really felt like she would pull through.  For one thing, she’s Irish.   She’s a fighter and she knows how to work hard for what she wants.
I met Sarah 14 years ago.  We were both in England, volunteers for our church at the time and were assigned to be partners/companions for 3 months.  We shared so much during that time that she became like my sister.  A year and a half ago my husband and I went back to England to visit.  We went to dinner with Sarah and her darling new husband.  Being with her again after all those years, it felt like no time had passed.  We just picked up where we left off.  I’ll always be grateful for that happy reunion.

About a week after that first phone call telling me about Sarah’s condition, I received another.  And this time the news was worse.  My sweet friend, a brand new mother with a beautiful healthy baby boy, had passed away.
I felt grief and, being half a world away, I felt helpless.  I needed something to do, when I really couldn’t do anything.  So I started a quilt.  I had planned to make a baby quilt when I first heard about her baby.  And so in wanting this baby to somehow feel close to his amazing mother, I decided on Irish flags to honor her heritage.
It was so cathartic for my heart to put my head and hands to work.  The creative process for this quilt was a blessing to me.  And I am so happy with the finished result. My machine-quilting skills are next to non-existent, and knowing of my sad story, a sweet friend, Gloria, offered to quilt it for me.  One more act of love going into this quilt!
And here is the gorgeous, wee man himself.  I wish I could wrap my own arms around this little lad and tell him stories of his valiant mother, but I can’t - he's too far away.  I hope that this quilt will be a surrogate for me and for Sarah.  For me: an act of love honoring a dear friend; and a symbol of the mother he will not know in this life, but whose influence I hope he always feels.

linking up to amylouwho

30 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It is a beautiful and heartfelt quilt. I hope he will always feel a closeness to his mother as he is wrapped in his special quilt.

Cheryl Arkison said...

What a story and what a stunning quilt.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm sorry for your loss. What a beautiful story and an equally beautiful boy!

Quilting is truly an act of love. When I sew I pray over the projects and the recipients. This is a perfect example of such kind of love.

janet said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful expression of your love.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful quilt, and a beautiful story. I love that you have found a way to create beauty and purpose to buffer the pain. Your son's friend may be far away, and too young now to know, but one day he'll read this, and he'll know, and he'll feel the closeness of his mother through this thoughtful gift from her dear friend.

Kari Sweeten said...

The stories behind these quilts make them priceless! Amy I'm so sorry for your loss and am inspired by you.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I am so sorry for your and the little one's loss. Maybe you could be a part of his life forever to honor your friend. Thank you for sharing.

Kim Walus said...

This touched my heart when I first read it and has touched me even more as I feel of your love for this dear friend, her baby , her husband, and her family. My heart goes out to them and I know the quilt will be a sweet reminder of that same LOVE!! You expressed your feelings with sweet sincerity and love. Thanks Amy for sharing this story and new blog.

SewCalGal said...

Very sad. I am so sorry for your loss of a dear friend, and for your friends family. What a special quilt you made for this wee guy. I'm sure he'll treasure it as he gets older too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Amber H. said...

You're right.. it is a tear jerker! That quilt is beautiful, and I love the little Irish flags.. and the brown is perfect.. rustic simplicity that I think of when I think of Ireland (even though I've never been there, and I'm sure it's quite green and lush) and I think it's PERFECT.

Sara said...

Oh, how sad! I also served a mission so I know the love and friendship that comes with your companions. What a sweet gift for her baby boy. I'm sure she's smiling down on him from heaven. Thanks for sharing! Your quilt is awesome and I love your blog!

Diane said...

Thank you for sharing that story. The family is fortunate to have friends like you and this beautiful quilt to remember the friendship.

Denise :) said...

What a sweet gesture. I've always felt that being wrapped in a quilt is like being wrapped in a hug from the quilter. I'm glad you were able to hug your dear friend's baby boy that way. :)

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing. I like the luck of the Irish quilt.

Angela Nash said...

That is one wonderful quilt - made by a wonderful friend. I'm sure that little guy (and dad,too) will cherish that quilt forever.

Megan said...

Such a tender story and a beautiful and thoughtful gift. That sweet little boy will treasure that quilt. Thank you so much for sharing.

Larri said...

Words seem inadequate. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Because of you, your friend's memory will be eternal to her son.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Your quilt will be cherished for years. I'm glad you shared your story and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Tori said...

Beautiful quilt and such a beautiful, sweet story.

Rene' said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us. Very bittersweet. What a lovely little boy! I am sure he will treasure this quilt and find comfort in the love it was made with!

Paulette said...

Such a moving story. What a loving gesture to honor your friend and little baby with such a beautiful quilt.

Dee said...

I think what you have done here is amazing! for you and for your friend's family. Sweet memories sewed into such a beautiful quilt for a little man who needs to be brave.............

Miri said...

Beautiful quilt! What a sad story.

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Thank you for sharing the story and the quilt. A very beautiful momento for this little one. You did a really great job and I pray your heart is lifted for remembering your friend/his mum.

Carla said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Working on this quilt helped with the grieving process. Now you have this wonderful quilt for a very special little boy. My prayers are with you.

Dayna said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your special friend. What a marvelous tribute to her you've made in this beautiful quilt. I, too, wish that you could be closer to her son. What a great and caring friend you are. Thank you so much for sharing this very meaningful story and gift with all of us.

Bellgirl said...

What a beautiful and important quilt for this little boy. Thanks you for sharing this story.

Amy said...

I love this quilt. Such a sweet gesture for this baby and father. What a story, now days we forget that delivering a baby can be dangerous for the mother to. A wonderful tangible way to honor your friend

Anonymous said...

Ar dheis De go raibh a hanam (an old Gaelic wish for the departed). I'm Irish and feel touched that you would
Choose to honour your dear friend in such a way. What an heirloom for future generations of her family you have created. Maith thu agus adh mor. Nina. X

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

What a beautiful tribute in midst of grief. I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing and pray for her family.