Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Quilting life...the amazing 24 hour quilt!

Sherri from A Quilting Life finished this amazing quilt with all the peicing in 24 hours total! It is a beautiful quilt, and you can find tons of amazing quilts and projects over at A Quilting Life... Thanks Sherri!...

This is “Garden Path” from the Kim Diehl book Simple Traditions. I changed it up a bit and didn't do the appliqué in the outer border because I was so intent on finishing right away. A friend of mine had made this quilt, and when I realized I had the pattern I went home that day and started cutting! I worked on it practically night and day and had it finished in less than 24 hours.



I think that one of the reasons I was so drawn to this quilt was because my first ever patchwork piecing was done when I was about 11—I made two 9-patch pillows from some pre-cut squares my mom purchased for me at the fabric store—and this quilt reminded me of those pillows!



I was determined to use what I had on hand and used several charm packs instead of the strip piecing method in the book (which would have been far faster)! I used every bit of the Shangri-La (by Moda) that I had along with anything in my stash that I could find to go with it!


After making this quilt it took me a year, yes, a full year to wash it...I was afraid of the colors bleeding. But I finally just threw in a color catcher and went for it...and it was fine!!! I also have plans to make this quilt again one day…using Christmas scraps!

17 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I'm completely impressed! All those little 9-patches. It's a really wonderful quilt!

Megan said...

I'm AMAZED you were able to put this beautiful quilt together so quickly! Great work!

Michelle said...

That is one gorgeous quilt! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Little Lady Patchwork said...

I heart Sherri!

KaHolly said...

It came out gorgeous! It is my kind of quilt! Thanks for sharing. ~karen

Karen said...

Love this quilt!!!! And done in Christmas fabrics, oohhhhh! Hurry and start LOL.

Terriaw said...

I have followed Sherri's blog for a couple years now, and love every project she makes! I love the story behind this quilt, especially her memory of those pillows she made as a kid. I am in awe at all this piecing in just 24 hours. That would be a fun challenge to try! Nice job, Sherri!

Heather said...

Oh how I wish I had 24 spare hours! Beautiful!

Sue-Anne said...

Sherri sent me over to have a look and I am so glad that I did. The quilt is wonderful and I can't believe how quickly she put it together. Great photos!

Kim said...

This is a wonderful quilt! Sherri does really great work. I think Christmas fabrics would be so inviting on a cold day/evening. I just might need to get this book.

Gale, Ky quilter said...

I love this quilt. I have the book, too so I am definitely inspired to try this now! Probably can't do it in 24 hours but I'm off work this week so who knows? Thanks for sharing!

galew417@comcast.net

Pepa (Lamica) said...

Es precioso este edredon. Me encanta la composicion de cuadros grandes y pequeños.
<Tambien son preciosos los colores y telas escogidas.
un abrazo

Grettle said...

I just reconnected with your mom at our WHS reunion. She gave me your site and I am loving this quilt, as well as others you've got up. Many of my quilts are in my facebook quilt album. It was great fun to be with your mom. Happy quilting. Grettle Payne

Jo said...

Lovely.
I might give this a go

cc said...

Wondering where I can find this pattern? Did you say it was in a book? Maybe I'd better reread. Thanks, I love it. I'd love the quicker piecing. May be doing this one for a wedding quilt. xo

Threse said...

I have been looking at this quilt for years. I'm so in love with it...I know it's in my future...Thanks ever so much for sharing...love it so much.

Rosefolly said...

I'm borrowing your idea for my next Christmas quilt.
Thanks to you - and of course Kim Diehl - of the inspiration.