Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Red Pepper Quilts...modern flying geese...

We are sure you have heard of a little blog called Red Pepper Quilts...there Rita has an adorable quilt tutorial, binding tutorial and so many of her own finished quilts for us all to admire!  She makes amazing quilts and sells alot of them, and her patterns, at her etsy shop. Be sure to check them out. This flying geese quilt really caught our eye...Thanks Rita!

Hi Heather and Megan,

I love the binding on this quilt. I cannot go past a dot fabric, and particularly love how it looks as a binding. I was in no doubt that this quilt needed a black binding to frame it, and trialled different striped fabrics but settled on the dotty fabric without disappointment.



Thank you for your request to feature my Modern Flying Geese Quilt on QuiltStory, I would love to have this quilt featured.



Inspired by the book that lives on my bedside table - Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects, as well as by the wonderful Flying Geese Quilts seen on Flickr, I wanted to created my own skein of flying geese.



I have always dreaded making Flying Geese units but this time I used the "Easy Star & Geese Ruler" by Kimberly Einmo which, although it meant working with bias edges, gave me the control I need to make Flying Geese unit of consistent size.


I have used several different linen and linen blend fabrics in this quilt, all very similar in color but varying in texture and weight, to add variety and interest. In choosing fabrics I have limited the number of fabrics and only worked with red/pink, orange, black and grey fabrics. I also ensured that there was a mix of large and small scale fabrics, adding solid fabrics as a feature.


I have also made a very fresh and modern version of the same Flying Geese Quilt:


I so enjoyed piecing and quilting these Flying Geese Quilts that I then wrote a comprehensive quilt pattern, which includes tips for selecting fabrics as well as many basic patchwork and quilting hints. You can find the Modern Flying Geese Quilt Pattern in my Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/knitknat

We just love Rita's take on Flying Geese units.  I could sit and admire her finished quilts all day long (and have)!  Thanks again Rita, we are so flattered you let us share your work!

11 comments:

grammajill said...

I just LOVE this quilt! I love both interpretations, but especially the grays/blacks/reds. Amazing work!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I'm a huge fan of Rita's! Her quilts are amazing. Thanks for sharing this interview.

Needled Mom said...

Lovely quilts. I especially like the grey/ red one.

Sara said...

wow these are gorgeous! love them both. thanks so much for sharing!!

janet said...

I love the bright, colorful one! The way they are quilted really keeps them updated.

Unknown said...

super cute quilts! makes me want to make flying geese!

Unknown said...

love the quilts!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Both are very beautiful! I love the back too! Did you do the back on the second one the same as the red and black one?

Blessings & Aloha!

prashant said...

Thanks for sharing this interview.
Contextual Ad Network India

Karen said...

What a great set for flying geese. These two quilts look so different. Great job.

yanmaneee said...

jordan sneakers
supreme new york
birkin bag
supreme clothing
kyrie irving shoes
yeezy 350
golden goose sneakers
yeezy supply
moncler
kobe byrant shoes