Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, June 7, 2010

Super cute Fishy baby quilt...

I found Heather's blog Quilt or Stitch as I was blog hopping through the endless quilt blogs out there. Her blog caught my eye immediately. I browsed through some of her quilts and they were all worth a feature. Make sure to go check out her blog and all the amazing projects she is up too...

I was shocked when I got a comment from Heather to be featured on Quilt Story, how nice! Thank you for letting me post about quilting, my obsession…


We all have our favorite quilt magazines. Mine is Quilts and More. And of course, you can’t get a subscription, so I am always hunting for them. In the Spring 2010 magazine there was a quilt on the cover that I loved, it was simple and pretty. I then dawned on me, it was the quilt pattern to use “THE FABRIC” You all have a favorite fabric you’ve been holding onto, waiting for that perfect pattern to come along right? My fabric was by Heather Ross, and it has these little gold fish in bags, with silly names like Spooky and Swimmy. I had been building a small collection of aqua and orange fabrics to go with this fabric to make a quilt someday (this is like a 2 year time span).


I pulled it all out, and then evaluated the pattern. I wanted skinnier sashing since this was a baby quilt, everything else I left the same. Here are the rectangles all cut out.



While I am planning a quilt my 8 year old daughter loves to help me pick out fabrics. She insisted the owls be in the quilt, even if they did have green leaves. She then drew them, she is so cute right? I like involving my kids in my process, the owls look great in the quilt by the way, she has a good eye.


I free motion quilt all of my quilts on my domestic machine, its taken me about a year to really get it down to where I feel like it looks decent. I love free motion quilting, it’s like drawing. I decided to quilt a loop-do-loop pattern all over it. I had some left over flannel in my stash that I used for the backing.

I squealed when it was done, I was so happy with the outcome of it! Quilting is my time to relax and enjoy, and I really enjoyed making this quilt.



My friend Amanda was really thrilled about receiving this quilt at her baby shower, it’s a good feeling to know your quilt will be loved.

Thank you again for letting me share my Quilt Story! Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

SoozeM said...

That is such a gorgeous quilt, I wish I had some of the goldfish fabric, way too cute! And your daughter was definitely right about the owls, they look great! Is that orange colored apples I spy in there too? Yummo!!

Mary said...

This is gorgeous! I love the aqua and orange together.

Brooke said...

This is such a cute quilt! I love those little fishies. I really like this pattern. It's like a sideways coin quilt. CUTE!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is such a cute quilt. I know what you mean about not cutting into certain fabrics. I have the fishies too. And a lot of the rest. I think I have an idea of what to do with it now!

Sara said...

i agree ... the owls do look darling in it!
and, yes, i have some fabric like that too ... that i've been holding onto forever, just waiting for the perfect project.
i love how it turned out. thanks for sharing! :)

Garilyn S said...

Love it! I had a cloth diaper for my kids with that same fish material! So fun. I believe I have the magazine that patterns in. I've wanted to try it. It turned out well.

Heather said...

This quilt is so cute! I love the color combo. And I love the fabrics and pattern. This is a very nice gift...(i don't think I could have given it away)

Patty said...

Oh, I love your quilt. It is just darling!!