Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 11, 2012

Tanner Reunion modern quilt from a maidenhair fern


Today's feature is from Linda of a madienhair fern.  Linda is a mom to 5 and has been sewing most of her life, but took up quilting in 2007 (same as me!).  She has become quite skilled with her free motion quilting, you can see a lot of her work in pictures here.  Also here are her finished quilts, an impressive list!  I really love the quilt we're featuring today, the Tanner Reunion quilt. I love the fabric line, Sweetwater's Reunion from Moda, her design is great and so is the quilting!!  Thanks Linda, and make sure to say hi at a maidenhair fern!  

Tanner Reunion . . . finished!


stats:
65" x 65"
25 -  11.5" blocks
fabric is Reunion by Sweetwater for Moda, jelly rolls and fat quarters
Warm and Natural
organic/straight line quilting


Picking a quilting design is almost as hard as designing the quilt. There are so many fun options!!


Jacquie from Tallgrass Prairie Studio has a great blog with lots of good information, pictures and tutorials.  I studied her tutorial on Organic Line Quilting before quilting this quilt.  Mine doesn't look quite organic as hers, it probably borders on the line of straight line quilting.




Have you ever quilted words into your quilt?  I've been fascinated with the idea ever since I saw a verse quilted into a quilt by Angela Foster.

It takes a little practice on paper, and even chalking onto your quilt what you're going to write.  It reminded me of typing class in 7th grade, a gazillion years ago, before computers.  Remember figuring out how to center your title on your page?  Count total number of letters, divide by 2 . . .  


I'll stick with names for now.

I love the back almost as much as the front.  For vivid colored pictures, leave your quilt a bit damp.



My next project to finish is the wall hanging that goes with this quilt, see below left.

Photobucket

12 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

Absolutely fabulous!

Susan said...

I love the colour palette of this quilt! Its a great quilt!

Josie McRazie said...

I quilted words into a mini for a swap once! It was just the word Mum and you really did have to look to see it! But it was fun! I love the quilt! looks great!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

beautiful quilt! I love the colours and simple lines. Great job!

Sara said...

The back is pretty dang cute!! What an overall sweet quilt:)

Cherie said...

Awesome looking quilt! Great pattern and such an awesome choice in fabric =D

I'm thinking of hosting a swap. Let me know if you're interested

http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/sigh-of-relief-and-idea.html

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

Great quilt - pleasing colors and simplicity- and so many good tips in this post! Years ago when I was making lots of baby quilts I would always free motion words in the border, like a verse from a song, or special phrase, or just the baby's name. I kept it subtle by using invisible monofilament thread.

Pippa Armbrester said...

This is lovely!

cinzia said...

Lovely! And I do love the back, too!

Kirsten said...

This is really lovely!

Anonymous said...

Good choice to showcase today! Love the quilt.

Anonymous said...

I love the straight line stitching on this. Beautiful. I just found your blog & am enjoying it already.