Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, March 6, 2014

For Baby Kate

I told you all last week about my best friend Amanda.  Her baby Kate was born seemingly healthy.  After a couple days Kate was losing weight and became jaundice.  What seemed like something a lot of newborns go through quickly turned into a very dangerous situation. 


Amanda and her husband were told that Kate was fighting a vicious virus.  In her current health condition they couldn't do any testing to determine what the virus was.  They were giving her several antibiotics to cover all possibilities.  All the knew for sure was that the virus was attacking  her liver.


They were then told that Kate was dying.  It would take a miracle.  Told to call all their family to come and say goodbye to their sweet newborn baby girl.  It was unbelievably heartbreaking.  Still grieving for my dad when I heard the news I couldn't bare it.  I was so sad and really angry.  I've been so angry feeling like we were "cheated" with my dad...and now my best friend losing her newborn baby girl??


Well they did all come to say goodbye to Kate..but there have been miracles.  A month later Kate is still fighting!!!!  She has an uphill battle but she is here and there is hope.  There is a high probability that she will need a liver transplant which comes with it's own set of health risks and problems.  But the hope (and belief) that Kate can go home and grow-up with her family is real.

The weekend Kate was born I finished her name blanket and quilt.  And a couple days later the morning Amanda told me the sad news I rushed to send her the gifts.  (Unfortunately we now live states away)  I just wanted her to have them.  If Kate only had a few days on the Earth I knew anything tangible would be precious to Amanda.


I started the star blocks this past Summer with no real plan.  When Amanda and her family came to stay with me over Thanksgiving we were talking about what type of quilt she wanted for baby girl.  I showed her the blocks and she loved them, so I took it from here.  They're 6 inch blocks, 1 inch sashing and then a couple of borders.  I just kept building this quilt each step of the way :)  We also made the name blanket with no name while she was here...and I added her name after Kate was born.

Kate is baby number 3 for Amanda and Ryker.  Their oldest daughter is the same age as my oldest son (6).  They'll probably get married one day because they love each other and fight with each other equally :)  Kalil has wanted a name blanket for ages and we've just never put one together.  Last week I sent this to Kalil, after all siblings need just as much love when all this craziness is around them.


I am so so glad that Kate is still here.  That she is fighting.  I am so happy that even though handmade things don't change the situation or lessen the pain, they can maybe bring some comfort to our hearts.  Making these things for Amanda and her family has probably done more good for me than them.  I can't wait to meet Kate and hopefully be able to hold her too!!

You can follow me on instagram (@quiltstorymeg) to stay in the loop or you can also follow Amanda (@rykerandamanda) to keep posted on sweet baby Kate.  I'll keep you all posted here as well.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read today :)
Photobucket

22 comments:

Valspierssews said...

What an emotional story. Your quilts are such a great way to show your support. I wish for Kate all the strength she needs.
Valspierssews

Dorian said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kate, Amanda and family. What a darling quilt you've made for her.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Oh my, what a story. I do believe in miracles and little Kate sounds like she is very blessed indeed. Your quilts are beautiful and we know how much they mean to people, especially little ones!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Ohhhhhhh....your story; emotional. The quilt is lovely.

the gathering girls said...

The quilt you made is lovely, but more important the way you are showing compassion is even more lovely. Kate will be in my prayers.

Daytona Damsel said...

What a sad but sweet story. And how special are you to think of the older sibling and understand how they hurt too. I am praying for baby and family. I still believe in miracles, I have witnessed several in my life.
Debbie

Katie said...

Beautiful quilt. I'm praying for Kate!

Rebecca said...

Beautiful quilts! Do you mind sharing what that green fabric with flowers on it is? The one w the name Kate on it.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful quilts! Do you mind sharing what that green fabric with flowers on it is? The one w the name Kate on it.

Dee said...

Anger is part of the grieving process! It's okay to be angry and hope fulfilled in this sweet, baby girl is a huge blessing to hang onto and celebrate!

Beautiful quilt from a beautiful heart!

Heidi Staples said...

I've been following Kate's progress ever since you first posted about her on Instagram and praying for her and the family daily. There are few things harder than watching a child struggle and suffer...especially when it's your own child. I feel so deeply for Amanda and Rykker, but I know your handmade love will be an encouragement to them.

Sheri said...

It's so bitter to hear about little Kate's illness and her fight. But it's so sweet to hear of your emotional (love) and tangible (the darling quilt and blanket) support that surely must a comfort to Amanda. Extra prayers (from blog visitors) are another awesome way you are supporting little Kate and her family. I hope it's healing, that you share your grief and heartache. You touch my heart!

Susan said...

I held my breath as I read about sweet Kate and her fight....prayers from afar for her, her family and you too. Your gifts were beautiful!

Susan said...

I held my breath as I read about sweet Kate and her fight....prayers from afar for her, her family and you too. Your gifts were beautiful!

Carla said...

It's so hard to watch little ones suffering : (
Bless you for your caring heart

cassandra cusack said...

prayers for Baby Kate and her family and you as well. such a tough time for you all

SewPsyched! said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with Kate and her family. Go Kate!!!! Hugs to you for being such a very good friend and person. :)

Nita said...

What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it and your beautiful quilt. :)

Michele said...

Oh I'm so happy that she is fighting. I've kept her in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to do so and hope that she can go home to her family soon.

Unknown said...

I am keeping her and her family in my thoughts and prayers. They are very lucky to have a wonderful friends like you.

Anonymous said...

I know these gifts will continue to bring comfort to both you and Kate's family. It's a physical show of your love and a beautiful reminder of their precious daughter.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

There are many other blogs but this site's content is the best.ดูหนังออนไลน์