Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Breast Cancer Awareness Quilt

Today's features is of Suz from Inspiring Creativeness...and her first ever quilt!!! Not only is it her first quilt, but she's donating it to an auction for Breast Cancer Awareness, nothing more appropriate than featuring her this month!  Suz has had many many people in her life effected by cancer...this is her way to help those effected and spread awareness.  Hopefully this can make us all more aware and thoughtful.  Thanks to Suz for inspiring us to not only have fun creating but to also do good!!


When I was 18 or 19, after visiting my ex-husband's (he was just my boyfriend then) grandma and seeing quilts in process of being quilted, I decided that I wanted to make a quilt and have her hand quilt it.  (She was one of those church ladies that you could 'hire' to hand quilt your quilt for you.)  She never made quilt tops, that I know of, but she quilted a bunch for other people.    Well......  THAT never happened....  I didn't have anyone to teach me how (I bought a pattern and fabric and - using scissors - cut out each individual piece, one at a time.....  what the heck was a rotary cutter???  I didn't know!!  I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I didn't even get 1 block done......) and then after we got married, the kids started entering our lives, and with kids comes more things that take up spare time.......... 

Next month, I will turn *ahmm* 45......  (really???  THAT just CAN'T be possible!  Didn't I just tell you the other day that I'm only 24???  *wink* *wink*)....   Anyway - - I'll be 45, so I guess that it's been 26, 27 years or so that I've had the desire to make a quilt. 

Had I not started my blog and had I not started blog-stalking all of you wonderful quilters out there, I don't know if I EVER would have tried to make a quilt.   You guys gave me the courage to try.  And my MIL has been one of my cheerleaders!!  She told me that I could hand quilt it......  and she was right!!!  And all of the tutorials online for every step of the way also have helped me!!

And I am so impressed with myself that I started it and finished it, not only in the same YEAR, but in the same SEASON!!!  You crazy quilters out there that get MULTIPLE quilts finished in a year truly amaze me!!

OK OK - - here she is......


The front...... 


The back.....



Close up of the back (above) and then the front again (below)



A little better shot of the washed-up crinkly goodness...


My label........


I made my binding out of left over pieces of fabric from the blocks.  I think my favorite binding is the 'scrappy' binding.  This quilt turned out so well - - I'm so proud of myself.............  (And I want to thank you guys for:  A: urging me on and supporting me  and   B:  allowing me to tell you that I'm very proud of myself.   Seriously, if I were to go up and tell someone at work that I'm proud of myself, or tell one of my friends.......  wouldn't they think I was boastful, or at least weird??  but I can tell you guys and you relate!!!   I {heart} my blogging buddies!!)

When I finished it, I washed it.  It was AMAZING to pull it out of the dryer.......  So warm and cozy and soo crinkly - - just the way I wanted it to turn out.........  BEAUTIFUL!!!  yep - - I said the "B" word!!!  (I don't think I told any of you......   I don't like Pink......  so I purposely made the quilt Pink so I wouldn't get so attached to it.......  it didn't work......  I like Pink now.........  I'm such a goober!!)

I took it over to Sandy's house Sunday night after I washed it.  I REALLY wanted to sleep with it Sunday night but I figured that if I did that - - it wouldn't end up as the first item for the raffle.....  It wouldn't be in the raffle at all...........  It would be staying at my house...........

When I gave it to Sandy and she read the label, she got all teary-eyed.......  She lost a sister to Breast Cancer..............    Sandy's hubby is my boss.  Monday he started asking questions like "what's it take to make a quilt like that?"  "How much would you charge to make one?"  I told him that it would depend on the pattern, the size, and the cost of the fabric...........   Then he asked me if I thought I could make one for Sandy for her birthday........  Her birthday is Friday.  Yep -- like THIS Friday...   September 16!!!  I told him NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for accompanying me on the journey of my first quilt.  And please understand.....  I will be posting about this quilt at least one more time.  Probably on October 5....  I'll have to let you know how many raffle tickets were sold ($1 each or 6 for $5....  any takers???  :-)  )  and I'll have to post a picture of the winner with the quilt......   Every story has a happy ending, and I want to make sure you guys get the whole story!!  (I just hope that the person that wins the quilt appreciates what it was made for and understands that it was made with love and that they cherish it for many years.....  you know??)


Have a happy day!!

Hugs ~~ Suz  


Photobucket

11 comments:

felicity said...

Congratulations on your first quilt - it's awesome. Now keep on sewing!

Michelle said...

A beautiful quilt...... going to a very good cause.
Can't believe it's only your first quilt.
Well done.

pinsandneedles said...

What a beauty...and a first quilt too! Great job!

Leslie said...

this is really beautiful

Anonymous said...

That's lovely! I made a BCA quilt for my friend who had cancer last year. It's on my quilt tab page in on my blog.

I love seeing people doing things for such worth causes! Kudos!

Impera Magna said...

Congratulations on finishing your very first quilt... it's gorgeous! Love the label you made for it too!

I'm sure your quilt's new owner will treasure it always!

Heather A said...

Thank you for what you're doing. It touches my heart, maybe more so because I just finished breast cancer treatments recently and am on the long road back to some version of myself that I hope will feel "normal". I'm pretty traumatized by the whole experience and it's so much more awful and long lasting than I had imagined. Still, I'm ever so grateful to be alive.

Now that I'm getting my energy back, I'm planning on making one quilt a year (I'm a beginner so that even seems optimistic) to give to the Cancer Centre in our city to be given to someone there who could really use the additional comfort. It's the least I can do.

Thanks again for your heartfelt gift. It will mean so much to someone. I know.

Heidi Grohs said...

The BEST kind of quilt!!!!!

Laura said...

That is a beautiful quilt and gift.

Lynne said...

Congratulations - well done. (And a commission after one quilt - amazing!)

Unknown said...

Is there a pattern for this quilt available?