Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, April 27, 2012

Fabulous I*Spy from Kelsey Sews

Today is a great quilt and sweet story from Kelsey of Kelsey Sews.  I really love I*Spy Quilts and being a mommy of little ones I really should take the time to make one! Especially with so many darling novelty prints out there...I've got to do it.  Kelsey uses great prints and I think she found a great balance in making it a fun kid's quilt but it's still very pretty and not too "childish".  Visit Kelsey Sews for regular inspiration on quilt blocks, WIP's Wednesday and other fun sewing things...like this Bookshelf Modern Mini!


I've posted a bit about it before, but my husband's cousins have two adorable little girls and we spend time together every Friday night.  They were over at our house one day (which they find boring since we don't have cable or kid stuff haha) and I was trying to think of something for us to do.  We were down in my sewing space and I decided that I'd pull out the charms I got through the I-Spy Charm Swap and we could lay them out and play a little game.  That was when E informed me that it was almost her birthday and sweetly requested that I use these "pretty fabrics" to sew her a quilt as a present.  Melted my heart!! So the only logical thing to do was start planning and cutting.  

I have a tutorial *almost* done so hopefully I can get it up later this week - but I just couldn't wait to share the quilt until then.

Without further ado - The I*Spy Quilt!

I*Spy Top
Top & Back
Quilting

Top

I used 96 different charms and combined them with Kona White for the background.  I had the different colors of polka dots in my stash (they're from Connecting Threads) and backed it in purple gingham by Michael Miller and bound it in a Bella purple (not sure the name).

This was also the first big project I free-motion quilted on my home machine!  I won't deny that I need some more practice but once it's all washed and crinkly everything fades together.  I will definitely be doing some more FMQ at home soon.

The gift was a huge hit, she loved it and snuggled up with it that night!! Her older sister also informed me that if E didn't like it that she'd take it :) - Guess I better get working on a quilt for her too!

TUTORIAL FOUND HERE.
Photobucket

15 comments:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Nice job Kelsey! I've said it before, but I'll say it again...I love this quilt!

MGM

Helen said...

What a great quilt. I love the pattern and the fabrics. Looks like I could even do one.

Carla said...

How sweet! She is going to love to.

RaeLyn said...

LOVE THIS QUILT! I would love to do an I-spy swap. I couldn't find one going on right now. Do you know of anyone looking for swappers? I would even be up to hosting if enough people are interested.

Dawn said...

Wonderful!

beaquilter said...

what a cute quilt and FMQ is fun!! keep going!

Jan said...

This one just makes me smile & I love the borders!

Cherie said...

Wow have never seen an eye spy quilt done using that pattern, most are solid blocks! Great job =D

doodlebugmom said...

Love it! My first quilt was an I spy for my great niece.

Little Penpen said...

I love it; I wish I had 96 cute "i spy" fabrics to make something so cute with!!!

Sarah Ashford said...

Gorgeous quilt,and fab fabrics too!

Sarah Ashford said...

Gorgeous quilt,and fab fabrics too!

Becky said...

What an unique I Spy quilt. Loved that she made pinwheels, my favorite block. My favorite fabric from Mad About Patchwork is

Soul Blossoms: Twilight Peony Azur

Have an awesome weekend!

Ellie Q said...

What a great-looking quilt! And I love the use of pinwheels rather than the more traditional I spy shapes that usually come to mind.

Lynne said...

I hope you've started on the second quilt, Kelsey! LOL this is a lovely way to make an I Spy quilt; thanks for the inspiration.