Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A little love story from Distant Pickles


Today's a cute little feature of a little love story and quilts to match!  Julie from Distant Pickles was so creative when she came up with a gift for these newlyweds.   Make sure to stop by their blog for some great tutorials, like a fabric clock, or cute projects, like this quilt top.

I actually made my deadline of last Friday and finished those gift quilts, yay! Just in the nick of time too. I needed to send them to Texas with my mom, who was leaving Saturday morning. I pulled them out of the dryer at about 5:00 pm Friday night, whew!

So here's the story...

My little sister is getting married to this awesome guy

Look at how cute they are!


Kevin was accepted into our family right away. We even joked that if they ever split up, that we would get him in the divorce. We always got quite the dirty look from her when we said that.

So, our family is from SC. None of us were born here, but we were all raised here and she definitely calls SC home. 

Kevin is from Texas. And like all Texans, he's proud of that state of his. 

So, Crystal wanted to leave the small town life and went to Texas to live with our older brother (who was sent there when he joined the Army). It was a classic case of boy meets girl, girl moves back home, boy follows....

So they spent some time here, some time there, some more time here and then finally decided to settle there. They loved both places so much but decided Texas was just the right place to be. 

Then After about 5 years of dating he finally popped the question! 

They are getting married this Friday and I knew right away that I wanted to make them a quilt for a wedding gift. But what? I was having a hard time deciding and thought I had it narrowed down until her and I spoke on the phone one day. She mentioned this quilt I had made, it was a commissioned job for a friend.


She told me she loved it and to put it on her shopping list for quilts she wants me to make for her.

A light bulb went off! 

So in the spirit of a girl who is SC born but a Texan in spirit, and a boy who is Texas born and a South Carolinian in spirit, I came up with these....



I decided to stay true to the flag of each state for these. My biggest dilemma was whether I should make a bedsize one that was reversible, or two throws. The two throws won. I didn't want them to have to fight over which one they displayed ;)

Crystal and Kevin, I wish you all the love and happiness in the world. Crystal, you are the best sister a girl could ask for and Kevin, I am proud to call you my Brother-in-Law. 

Congrats guys!!




Photobucket

10 comments:

Pam said...

so sweet...love quilt stories!!! thank you....

Mary Grace McNamara said...

What a lovely gift, and so personal for each of them!

MGM

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

What a wonderful quilt and special gift. Thanks for sharing!

Sallie said...

Love that Texas flag!!

littlemissmk said...

love it! :)

Unknown said...

They are so sweet and unique they will cherish them forever!! IT is a gift of love from the heart.

Charity said...

When reading through I could help thinking that the next picture was going to be one with the moon over texas. A compromise in the middle. Regardless it's adorable to see the two throws. I'm sure there will be little squabbles over who getts which one. As both will be loved.

Melinda said...

Love it! I'm trying to figure out how to make a baby quilt for a guy friend who has Japanese heritage and his wife who has German heritage. I thought about using some of the Japanese fabrics but the German part has me stumped!

KimT said...

love these quilts and what a nice story! Congrats to the happy couple.

Laura said...

Oh, I love that Palmetto State flag! That's fantastic! My husband just looked over my shoulder and said "Ooh.. make us one of those." haha - yeah right! That appears to be a bit above my head!