Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Shabby redo vintage pillowcase tutorial..

Marilyn from shabby redo for you made up this darling vintage pillowcase quilt. The fabrics are so sweet! She has also created a wonderful tutorial to share with us! Make sure to visit her blog for more fun projects...



Yea!  I have finished the vintage pillow case quilt.  It measures 48x72 and the following is how I put it together:
  1. Cut 24    8 1/2 x 8 1/2 squares from vintage pillowcases
  2. Cut 48    2 1/2 x 8 1/2 border strips from white cotton material
  3. Cut 48    2 1/2 x 12 1/2 border strips also from white material
  4. batting-- I used extra loft
  5. 1 twin vintage flat sheet for backing
  6. 252 inches for binding -- a little extra to be safe
  7. 2 1/2 yards of 100% cotton material for border strips
This quilt is what I consider Shabby due to using reused vintage material except for the white cotton borders that I chose to use. You could do  a variety of patchwork squares all in vintage pillowcases or I know you girls have your  own clever ideas.  Using a vintage sheet for the backing just is a great finishing touch.

Each vintage pillow case gives you two fat quarters.  One fat quarter gives you 4 8 1/2 squares for the quilt I did.  I have put together bundles of 7 fat quarters, all vintage from pillowcases for $18.00 from my stash
all ready for you, they are clean and ready.  For this quilt I did you will  need 6 fat quarters, I did cut some of the fat quarters larger than the 18x22 which is the true fat quarter size, none are smaller than 18x22 inches.

I used scrap from the top of the pillowcases for my binding, attaching for the length I needed, it gave it a very colorful binding and useful way to use the top border of each pillowcase.  I had strip pieced binding before from various 100% cottons in my quilting  and love the look.  So this was a must for me!

Here are 4 fat quarter bundles (7 fat quarters all vintage in each)     $18.00 each
Also I have one bundle of 30 cut and ready 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 squares             $20.00





30 8 1/2 squares
all vintage



Photobucket

6 comments:

Linda said...

So sweet and pretty!

the gathering girls said...

I love the vintage look...beautiful fabrics!

Anonymous said...

Love the soft look of this quilt. Very romantic looking!

mckeearts studio said...

This looks so soft! I just want to curl up in one myself.

Shabby Marilyn said...

Thank you Heather and Megan for the feature! How exciting to see my quilt on your blog! I love vintage material and I hope this quilt will inspire others. Love your blog and the all the talented quilters.

Karen said...

It looks beautiful and so shabby chic.