Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 12, 2013

Monster Truck Baby Quilt from Jedi Craft Girl

Extra fun and simple baby quilt from Jedi Craft Girl today!! And she gives a tutorial to boot!  I love that it's very BOY but still a BABY quilt.  A great combination.  Check out Amanda's really cute quilted tote tutorial and her iron-on image pillows...more to add to my list!!

Modern Monster Truck Quilt
  I came up with the idea for this quilt when I was invited to a baby shower for a friend who loves going to Monster Jam.  I wanted a cute, modern take on the monster truck and this what I came up with. To begin, select fat quarters  of various prints.  I choose gray, white, black and green.  You can choose any prints or patterns you like.  I only had 8 different fabrics, but I would have liked 12.IMG_1708 

Next, cut your fabric into 12.5" strips, then sub-cut into the following measurements:monster truck measurements
Do this with each of your fabrics.  Now mix up the pieces and sew the following 12" (finished) block:  (quarter inch seams)monster truck quilt block
You want the top and bottom pieces to be the same fabric, and the center to be different.  Press the seams toward the 6.5" piece.

I love personalizing quilts, especially if they are gifts.  To add a name to the quilt block, print the name using your favorite word processing program.  I tried several different fonts until I got the one I liked.  If you can, reverse the image when you print.  Take yourHeat N Bond® Lite and trace the reversed name in pencil.  Iron the piece of Heat N Bond® with the name to the WRONG side of your fabric.  Then, cut the name out.  Peel the backing off and arrange the letters how you want on your quilt block.  Finally press to attach it.
I outlined the letters using a straight stitch.  I went around each letter twice to give it the "sketch" feel....which I love.
IMG_1743
  After you make 11 of these blocks, lay them out.  For the truck applique block, cut a white square 12.5"x 12.5"
  IMG_1709

Next,  follow the same technique using Heat N Bond® Lite to applique the monster truck to the quilt block.  Click HERE for the truck pattern.
To finish the quilt, sew the blocks together to form rows and sew the rows together.  Quilt as desiredIMG_1782

IMG_1783

IMG_1784


IMG_1787

Note: These are big blocks which help make this a fast, easy quilt to put together in a day.  If you would like the same look, but with smaller blocks here are the measurements:
For a 10" finished block: cut pieces 10.5" x 5.5", 10.5" x 2.25", 10.5" x 3.75"
For an 8" finished block: cut pieces 4.5" x 8.5", 1.5" x 8.5", 3.5" x 8.5"
Essentially the bottom strip is 1/2 the block size, the top strip is 1/3 the block size and the center strip is 1/6 the block size.
Here is a little peek of the baby shower - we centered the colors and theme around the quilt.  We even hung the quilt in the entry way so it was the first thing people saw as the entered.
IMG_1802
I love that we were able to get a stack of tires!!
Monster truck cupcakes - complete with "dirt" on the top.IMG_1805

IMG_1808

Photobucket

6 comments:

claudia said...

Such a cute idea. I love the colors, although it would work up nicely in many color combinations.

Kim said...

Love the quilt and the baby shower decorations are so fun!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous gorgeous!!! I love the quilt and the truck is so cute. Thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Hilary said...

That quilt is awesome and so is that party theme!

Michele T said...

Awesome quilt!!! Great colours and design right down to the little details!! Hope you don't mind if I pin it to my Quilt & Sew board for future reference!

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

ดูหนังออนไลน์ Anyone who wants to practice a blog language that can help you become better at reading.