Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Beautiful dresden quilt finish from LR stitched...



Lindsay from LR Stitched completed this super gorgeous dresden quilt. How gorgeous is it! I love the color combo. Check out Lindsay's tutorials here, and her fun little list of life's to do's, got me thinking...just love this quilt she finished for her daughter...

Dresden Quilt finished!

Hooray!

I can hardly believe it, but I managed to have the quilt mostly done for show-n-tell.  The binding wasn’t stitched to the back until today, but my guild friends didn’t mind.

It’s so fun to be able to share a project with people who love quilting as much as you.
I ended up ditching the sashing altogether and just added a 3 inch border of white on each side.    Once I got to sewing, that just felt like the right thing to do.    The quilt ended up a little larger than a standard twin at 70 x 86.
Twin Dresden Quilt
I discovered it’s much harder to photograph a bed-sized quilt with only one person holding.   And equally hard for the person trying to hold the quilt!  (Thank you honey for breaking your back while I proceeded to take umpteen million of the same picture)
Twin Dresden Quilt - back
I love how the back turned out.   This was my first time randomly piecing things together and I can’t wait to make another quilt this way.  It was freeing to just go with the flow.
It was a bit of a wake up call though when I realized, hey, you have to piece all that together.   I got so caught up in just putting pieces on my design wall, that I forgot about the sewing part!
The little white box towards the bottom is the label.    I hate not knowing the details of some of the quilts handed down to me, so I’m  trying to be better about recording the history.  Here’s what it says:
I am so thrilled to have this quilt complete.  The cherry on top was my little girl’s reaction when I put it on her bed.  She screeched and gave me the biggest bear hug while she told me that she loved it and how she couldn’t wait to sleep with it.
Reactions like that make every stitch absolutely priceless!
Thank you for sharing in the process with me!
Lindsey




Photobucket

12 comments:

Nicky said...

Great story and your daughter is right about squealing with delight for this gorgeous quilt!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This quilt is fabulous! The front is perfect and I love the back too :)

Lynne said...

The quilt is fabulous but the reaction is priceless!

Judith said...

This is a really wonderful quilt.

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

Mary Menzer said...

Lindsey, you did a great job picking out colors for your dresden plates. You pulled everything together beautifully.

beaquilter said...

great and good job on the backing, I have fun too when I do that

Sally said...

I love this quilt! It is absolutely gorgeous! The colors/fabric you chose are awesome. A dresden quilt is on my someday list :)

pinsandneedles said...

So pretty and the back is fabulous!

Tatkis said...

Beautiful quilt - fabrics are just gorgeous!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Jan said...

Kudos, and a hip hip hooray to your quilt model!

Danny Heyen said...

Beautiful quilt and good choice with the white border. It gives it a more modern flair. Love it!