Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, June 23, 2014

Amber's Farmers Wife quilt finish...AMAZING

We have a sweet friend Amber from A little bit Biased that Megan and I met years ago at the SLC Quilt Market. It was all or our first time (actually our only time, and I think Ambers only time so far too) Anyhow, we have been quilting friends since. Attending a few quilt retreats together as well. Anyhow, I had to feature her Farmer's Wife quilt. Love it! I like all the shades of the red. Amazing!  Also, Amber has just released some new quilt patterns. LOVE them! Make sure to check them all out here....

About a month ago I finished my Farmer's Wife quilt top 
and I'm excited to finally share it with you!  

 
My trip on the Farmer's Wife Express started back in January 2012 when my bosses and I decided that we would start a Farmer's Wife Club at Just Sew (the quilt shop I work at in Highland, Utah).  We taught a different technique each month, including basic piecing, paper piecing, template piecing and applique so that by the end of the year we would have all 111 blocks complete. I learned a lot from teaching and participating in the club.  I learned that I like template piecing (I had never tried it before).  I learned about new tools for paper piecing.  I paper pieced really intricate blocks and I made dozens of new blocks!  I learned new methods for making half square triangles.  I tried Y-seams for the first time!  And I found out that tiny stuff - is actually really fun to make!  It was a great experience overall and I'm really glad I was a part of the club.
  

Originally I planned on making all the blocks but somewhere along the way I decided that I really didn't need another queen size quilt so I decided to stop at 83 blocks for a twin size quilt.  I feel good about my decision and still feel like this was a BIG accomplishment.


 I decided that I wanted bigger sashing than what the book called for so I cut my strips 2" wide.  I decided to go with the off-white sashing and setting triangles because I really wanted to keep the focus on the blocks.  And, to be honest, I didn't know if I could handle any more red at that point.  Let's just say that although I've always wanted a red and white quilt, I may be a little tired of it and have tried to keep my distance from it ever since :)


For the inner border I used a red tone-on-tone gingham print from Sweetwater's fabric line, Wishes.  I liked that it had a dark and a light red 
on it - to pull in all the different shades of red from the quilt center.  
Plus, who can resist gingham on the bias? :)  

 
Mitering the outer border was a first for me.  I'm just glad that the stripes were small and relatively subtle so that if I was off it wouldn't be too noticeable (and I was off - pretty much on all 4 corners :)  Unfortunately I don't know the name/designer of my outer border and backing but they both have a vintage feel that I couldn't resist.


I really want this to be hand quilted, but I know myself and know that will NEVER happen.  So I am going to take it to a local group of ladies that hand quilt for hire and all the proceeds go to buy materials for patients at the Utah State Hospital.  I think it will be a win-win situation but it takes 6-8 months to get it back so you won't be hearing any more talk about this quilt for a long, long time!


Happy Quilting!
~ Amber


Photobucket

19 comments:

Sandra said...

Is gorgeous and I am not a red person :)

andrea@tidelinequilts said...

Oh my goodness! How beautiful!

Daytona Damsel said...

Beautiful. I want to do a red quilt.

beaquilter said...

just stunning! I love red/white quilts... .also blue/white..... I'm doing a women of the bible BOW quilt in MINI in blue and white.... it's fun with 3" blocks.

Little Penpen said...

Oh, how beautiful!!! Love the 'classic' red and white colors.

manos de chicureo said...

Muy Lindo, Felicitaciones.
Yasmin

Carla said...

Can't say enough how gorgeous this is! It will be a classic : )

Christine M said...

Your quilt is beautiful, Amber. I just love it!

Sew Stitching Cute said...

This is STUNNING and perfect red and white, it isn't too bold or in your face... one that I would love staring at regularly.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

So beautiful! Thanks for sharing this lovely quilt - I'm still plugging away on my FW quilt. Seeing this one finished is so inspiring :)

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Whst a wonderful quilt. I love the multiple red fabrics, it gives it depth. I don't normally life red and white quilts (I like scrappiness) but this has changed my mind!

Gazynia said...

Beautiful! I love it!

Kymberly said...

Very beautiful quilt. I'm currently making my Farmer's Wife with blacks and whites. It's so nice to see someone else make this quilt in a monochromatic color scheme.

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

How gorgeous and a HUGE accomplishment. I don't know many who finished a FW quilt. The red and white is stunning. I wish it gave me the motivation to work on mine again. Alas, my blocks have just become decoration in my sewing room. HA! Way to go!!!

claudia said...

What a fantastic quilt! It is so intricate. I am amazed!

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

It's so gorgeous Amber...I had decided a little while ago that I wanted to do the Farmer's Wife quilt in all red and whites...so I have started to find and add reds to my stash. Thanks for the inspiration to keep at it :)
Amanda

Patty said...

You did an amazing job with this. Congrats on the finish.

StubbsFamily said...

Beautiful!

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

This information is useful to seamstresses. or someone who likes to sewดูหนังออนไลน์