Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, June 5, 2014

My dad's birthday and his quilt


Monday would have been our dad's 68th birthday.  We never imagined last year we would be celebrating without him.  It is safe to say that the day was far more difficult than any of us would've imagined.  Back in Utah all of my other 6 siblings were able to gather at my parent's home.

They served Fish and Chips, a favorite of my dad's.  I have been lucky enough to go to the fish and chips shop around the corner from the home my dad grew up in Grays, England with him.  Memories I'll absolutely always treasure.  I was so fortunate to visit his home with him a handful of time.


We did a balloon release.  Everybody wrote notes and letters to my dad on balloons.  Then we released them for him to read.



My uncle Andy, my dad's best friends and younger brother, releasing balloons in England.


And here we are in Virginia, my little family timing our release at the same time as everyone in Utah.



We also celebrated with Apple Pie, my dad's favorite.


I woke up and I felt okay.  I knew it was his day and thought I would be okay.  And then I saw the picture from my uncle and it was over.  I had a very very sad morning.  Missing my dad so incredibly much.  I'm so thankful for my amazing mom and siblings, we are all suffering together and that makes it better in a way.  I have 7 people who know exactly what I'm feeling, the massive void I feel and know my dad completely.

I decided that afternoon I would spend making another quilt block for his memory quilt.  This is the 6th block, the white is his shirt.


I really enjoy sewing and creating, it distracts me and makes me happy.  Then the cherry on top is working on this special quilt of my dad. I have a large canvas picture of him in there with me and  yes, I talk to him.

Another one I haven't shared. The blue is his shirt.


The first three.  Only the bottom plaid gray/blue is his shirt.  The other two do not have his shirts.


I look forward to adding to the collection of blocks.

Photobucket

18 comments:

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

It is so hard to lies a parent. But certainly seems like you have a large supportive family, such a blessing he left for you all! I love the balloons.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Gosh sorry about the typo...lose a parent...

~Diana said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard, isn't it? Losing your parent. I joke now that my dad died on 9/11...not THAT 9/11, but it's a memorable date. When I see 9:11 on the clock (and I usually DO), I figure it's dad saying hi, so I say (out loud) Hi Dad! And I remember...your quilt is a wonderful way to remember.

Lynda said...

My husband passed on July 16th, 7 days after our daughter (who lived 3,000 mi away) gave birth to triplets. The following year I started making quilts from the t-shirts he collected (he collected a lot of them). The first was for myself, then I made one for each of our children, and a couple of "adopted to the family" children, each having a theme that was special for them. Making those quilts has helped in the healing process for everyone. You will cherish that quilt you are making forever.

Cathy said...

I lost my dad the same day Princess Diana died. There isn't a year yet that that day and his birthday are easy. But it will get easier. *hugs* Your union jack blocks are fantastic and that quilt will definitely be a way to wrap yourself up in his hugs.

Lauren Deel said...

I'm so sorry. God bless you all.

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Bless your heart, I'm glad you found a happy spot in the day. Your tribute quilt is going to be such a treasure.

The balloons were a wonderful idea, especially for the kids.

I hope the making of the quilt blocks continues to be a source of comfort and peace for you.

Christine S said...

So sorry for your loss. I lost my brother On Feb 28th. I have a bag of his t shirts for a quilt but haven't brought myself to even open the bag yet. I am looking forward to making this, when the time is right for me. Take care.

Anne J said...

What a touching account of the day of your dad's birthday - it brought tears to my eyes. I wish you and your families peace.

Anita said...

What wonderful tributes to your father and the food looks delicious! He was there in spirit and in all of you.

Sew Stitching Cute said...

Such a beautiful way to hold onto such valuable and precious memories! Sorry for your loss, but I am sure he appreciates all of your thoughts and gestures while we are here. :o) *hugs* to you and your family.

Unknown said...

My father just passed away in May. I had made him a quilt for Christmas but he never got the chance to use it. Before he died he gave me all his beautiful ties which I am hoping to turn into a Dresden plate quilt at some future point.

Catherine said...

The union jacks are a great way to remember your dad by. I didn't realise he grew in up Gray's. I live about an hour from there and go there sometimes with work

MsMidge said...

THis is going to be one very special quilt! xx

RobotMomSews said...

What a great way to remember him by sending balloons all together, even if you are miles away. Love your blocks you are doing. Hugs!

Unknown said...

Love this post Meg. And mostly hate it.

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

This is so special...really making me tear up. Love these blocks and will be such a treasured quilt. Glad you found a way to make this day special.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

ดูหนังออนไลน์ People who like fabric must like this blog. It has many beautiful patterns.