Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

First Quilt completed by Ashley...


Don't you just love seeing people falling in love with quilting. Don't you sort of want to warn them and stop them in their tracks. Seriously! Quilting and fabric collecting is so addicting! So welcome Ashley, this is her beautiful first quilt finish!  I love these colors. I am excited to see Ashley's love for quilting grow.  Go welcome her at her blog Our Anchored Adventure.

As a little girl, I remember my grandmother sewing most anything (clothes, draperies, etc.) and making quilts by hand. She's the one who taught me to sew using her old Kenmore machine. When I was nine, she made me a quilt for my twin bed. I went with her to the fabric store and chose the fabrics I wanted her to use. I think it was then that I fell in love with fabric! The quilt turned out beautifully, and fast-forward eighteen years 

- I still cuddle up with her quilt on my couch with my husband and watch movies. Little did I know the spark that was struck when I was a child would grow into a love for quilting. These many years later, it was my mother-in-law who taught me how to quilt, who could have guessed it - on an old Kenmore machine very similar to the one I learned to sew on. This is the first quilt that I have completed. 

This particular pattern is said to be the "Potato Chip Pattern," because you can't make just one! It took awhile in the making... this quilt has been through my husband's graduate school years, a 1,400 mile move, and the pregnancy and birth of my 7 month old little boy. For my next quilt, I'm hoping to make him a quilt for his first birthday!



Photobucket

6 comments:

Dorian said...

You did a wonderful job on your first quilt Ashley! Welcome to the quilt world!! LOL

the gathering girls said...

Thats a wonderful quilt story!

Tanyia said...

Beautiful job! :)

@pril said...

Beautiful! Looks quite comfy & soft!

Grammy T. said...

That is a very darling quilt girls. I love it!!!

Unknown said...

Your Disney quilt is adorable. I also love your comment ontology of this page. Quilting is so addicting. I started a year ago and never have enough fabric even though a 6 shelf cabinet is full along with 4 big tubs plusses odds and ends everywhere.