Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 7, 2011

Urban Patchwork quilt for Mrs. Z...


Jess from Urban Patchwork made this darling quilt as a gift to her kids teacher. I LOVE it!  Jess has some awesome stuff on her blog. Check out her darling collection of finished quilts. She also has a couple great tutorials here. Thanks Jess, I am sure Mrs. Z loves this!
This quilt has existed in my mind, & as a stack of fabric, for months (ever since I made these for Carissa). Over this past weekend, it very quickly became a quilt. It needed to be finished by today to present to my son’s kindy teacher, on their last school day together.
She is a true book-lover, so I used the “Book Club” design from Modern Quilt Workshop. The shelf heights & widths needed to be adjusted a bit to come out to the finished size I wanted (about 60″x75″). The sketch is pretty lame, but I really only did it to gauge if my updated measurements would still created a well-proportioned design. Originally, I planned to eliminate the tilted books, but I am so glad I went ahead with them. It sends a much clearer “bookshelf” vibe with the tilted books! The back includes a signature/note/drawing from each child in the class.
I was concerned about using a pattern, but it was not as painful as I imagined. It’s actually instructions rather than a true pattern – no templates, just measurements, & lots of leeway with the arrangement of the books.
As always, you can click on any picture to see it larger.
For Mrs Z




Photobucket

6 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Oh I LOVE this! I need one for me!
Great job!

Tanyia said...

AMAZING! My dd would absolutely love something like this!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Cute.

Jen said...

This quilt has been on my "favorites" list on flickr for some time now. It's got to be one the the most amazing quilts I've ever seen. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Melanie said...

This quilt is the reason I bought Modern Quilt Workshop! One of these days I will make it for my library! You did a beautiful job Jess!

Kirsten said...

Lovely quilt!! I have just borrowed the Modern Quilt Workshop book from the library and recognized your quilt immediately.