Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mountain Quilt from Spotted Stone

 Welcome to a Wednesday feature!  Today we've got Krista from Spotted Stone.  Her blog is a fun mix of family, quilting and other fun sewing things.  She's got some impressive finishes!!  Make sure to see her Etsy shop with cute sachets and a ridiculously cute mini sailboat quilt!  Today she's sharing a special quilt she made for someone special :)

I just finished maybe my favorite quilt ever.



    Imade this abstract landscape for Rob, who has mentioned a few times that I make things for everyone else but had yet to do something just for him. It took me awhile to figure out what to do, but his love for the mountains inspired me. Anyone who knows us in real life can attest to the fact that Rob is happiest when he is out on a trail. It doesn't matter if there is snow, rain, mud. He's out there enjoying every bit. He has shared this passion for the outdoors with me and our kids, and for that I'm so grateful. Rob is the best husband, the best father. I'm lucky to have him.


Quilting details-- The quilt measures 28" x 27". I made it entirely out of shot cottons, save for the few pieces of Kona Snow and Aqua. Most of the fabric came from my scrap stash. I started the sky at my sew-in day last weekend but completed the rest in the last 24 hours. (Rob is away at a conference, so I was able to stay up extra late to get it done!) The mountains were pieced in sections and appliqued onto the sky, then the rest was improvisationaly pieced as I went along.  I took extra time with my quilting since there were so many starts and stops in the middle. I made sure to hold my thread ends and wove them into the quilt, so the back is as neatly stitched as the front. I also didn't square it up until the quilting was done, since the shot cottons are so thin and flimsy. Here's a photo of the top before it was quilted:


On the surprise part-- I'm 99% positive that Rob doesn't read my blog, and I just couldn't wait to post the photos! This is destined for his office at work, but I'll be hanging it up to enjoy here until he returns home.

Just a reminder, in case you've totally missed the memo, today is the last day to sign up for a fab giveaway from fat quarter shop, so check it out! :)
Photobucket

14 comments:

Belinda said...

What a unique and beautiful work of art!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That's just awesome! Great job!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Very nice!

Javorkowo Aga Jaw said...

piękne!!!!

cinzia said...

this mountain quilt is stunning! It reminds me of our family cottage. my husband and my son would love something like that!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

That is beautiful!! so interesting to look at...nice job

the gathering girls said...

Very nice quilt...fun to look at!

Cindy said...

Absolutely stunning :) Amazing work! I kept going from the before quilting to the after quilting pictures... amazing!

Lauren Phelps said...

It's beautiful! You are so creative!

Amy said...

very nice! I am sure it will loved

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That is sooooo gorgous.
~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hello! Thank you fr introducing us people with great talent! I love this quilt with unusual theme and wonderful cimple technic! I'll go to meet Krista!

Anonymous said...

Ok...hands down my fave I've commented on today (and no I'm not stalking I swear!). This is awesome.

Bless said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I found it when I did a search for "mountain quilts" and followed the links. I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and a friend told me to visualize it as climbing a mountain and I decided to make a "mountain climbing" quilt. I couldn't find a pattern that I liked for a mountain, until I saw this quilt. I have adapted the pattern and I will post a link to this post (and the original quilt) in my blog, when I finish the quilt and post pictures. I hope that will be OK with you. Bless