Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 21, 2011

Five generation flower garden quilt...

Tiffany from Lower Columbia Modern Quilting and Crafting sent us this wonderful five generation quilt. Isn't it amazing? We love it!  Five generations of Women had a hand in this quilt! Isn't that amazing? I don't know many people who have a quilt like that! So much hand work put into this quilt. Be sure to go say to Tiffany at her blog...


Grandmother's Garden Quilt....5 generations!

Hexagon Quilt


I've wanted to show this quilt for a while now but I never had a decent picture of the whole quilt.  I went to my sister in law Connie's house this weekend and she has it on the wall and the lighting was pretty good for a rainy Washington day.

30's Hexagons

This is such an amazing quilt.  It has been touched by five generations of women in one family! The quilt was started in the 30's or 40's and was hand pieced using feedsacks.  It sat unfinished all those years until my mother in law, Joyce,  had it quilted in 2010.  The quilt was very fragile and we had many discussions about how to finish the quilt.  Should she hand quilt it, machine quilt it, or have it professionally quilted. 

We finally decided that having it professionally quilted which would ensure that it would last through another five generations.  Sue is a local longarm quilter and she has finished a lot of vintage quilts in this fashion and was just the person to take it to. 

It was important to keep the story with the quilt so my mother in law wrote up a label and my girlfriend Darci designed the family tree showing the names through the generations.

I am happy to have married into a family with such strong family ties.  I am very proud that my daughter will be part of the "strong stuff" that these women are made of.





Quilt Label


The label/story is:

This quilt was pieced by Minnie - probably in the 30's or 40's.  All piecing was done by hand and many of the fabrics are from feed sacks.  

Minnie gave the quilt to her daughter Loneta , who later gave it to her own daughter, Joyce.  It has stayed folded in a drawer for many years waiting to be finished.

Joyce had it machine quilted in 2010 as a 50th birthday gift for her daughter Connie. 


Connie is now "required" to pass it on to her young daughter, Jadyn.


Five generations of women have seen and touched this quilt!!!  
Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt Label

Photobucket

7 comments:

Donna M. said...

What a wonderful piece of family history. I am in the process of finishing a quilt that was begun by my great-aunt. She crazy quilted the top and it was given to my mother. I decided to quilt and tie it by hand b/c it isn't perfectly square...I am almost done..
Donna

Karyli said...

That is absolutely amazing! What a wonderful legacy for your family. It will be a treasure for many more generations.

Katy said...

What a beautiful story and such a quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Kristie said...

Absolutely fantastic. How special!

Marjory Skousen said...

I've been making one of these quilts by hand for the last 5 yrs. But, I figure it should be done in the next 20 yrs. or so. LOL Why I thought this would be a fun quilt to hand sew, I don't know why. I really love the colors on this quilt. What a special thing to own.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Wow, this is one of the most amazing stories I've read about people making a quilt! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

That's amazing quilt! It'a so beautiful and a real treasure!!! Thank you for sharing unique quilt story! Teje