Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, April 15, 2011

FAB boy quilt from in my sewing room

When we got this submission from Kerrie of in my sewing room, Heather and I were won over!  Both of our "babies" are boys.  It's really fun for us that our kids that are the same age are all boys...although currently my boys boss Mr Weston around, hopefully in the future they'll be as BFF's as H and I!  Back to the great boy quilt, well...see for yourself!!...

When my sister and her family moved into their new home this summer she decorated my nephew Donovan's room with a "transportation” theme so I designed this quilt to go on his bed.  After eight months, in December 2010, I completed what I dubbed the Dump Truck quilt (actually called Convoy, from a Buggy Barn pattern).  It was originally to be a gift for my nephews 3rd birthday.... but since his birthday was in July that didn’t exactly happen!  I pieced most of the blocks in the spring and in the fall I finished sewing the quilt top together.

In November I bought a new sewing machine for quilting and began the huge job of quilting a full sized quilt.  I spent quite a bit of time searching on-line for the best design to use.  I decided to begin with the roads.  I did free-motion quilting and made a gravel pattern in circles.



Next I did a boxy stippling pattern around all the free area’s.  It took quite a while but it turned out exactly the way I’d hoped!



  I made a scrappy type binding and I absolutely loved the way it added to the overall look of the quilt.  As usual, my two cats were extremely helpful in breaking in the coziness of this quilt while I did the hand sewing on the binding!  Gotta love ‘em!

The trucks and tractors needed to be quilted as well.  So after the binding was done I went back and added stitch-in-the-ditch quilting to the tractors and dump trucks.  It was the perfect finish!









  

The best part was giving the quilt to Donovan and seeing the joy in his face when he opened his gift! 

  I have to say, I think  it was a perfect fit!

Thanks again Kerrie!  Make sure to stop by and say hi at in my sewing room.  She's really creative and a fun read!


PS Stay tuned for later today when we are having a Denyse Schmidt fabric giveaway!! You read that right, can't wait to share some with ya'll!! :)


Photobucket

17 comments:

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

that is fantastic!
~Kimberlee, www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

lll-lll-lll said...

КАКАЯ красотища !!!
Нет слов !!!

Ruth said...

I love the quilting on this one!

Impera Magna said...

The only thing more fantastic than your quilt is Donovan's expression in the photo... just makes your heart sing!

Congrats on such a fab finish...

Deanna said...

Love it! He'll treasure your gift for years to come.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Oh my gosh wow!! Those cars look so wonderful, and a cool backing!

Sew Many Mamas said...

That is an adorable quilt!!! I think he likes it!

tracy_a said...

What an amazing project, Kerrie! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a cute quilt! That is amazing...love how the binding picks up the colors of the blocks - and your quilting is wonderful! Cute little guy enjoying it, too! Thanks for letting us see all the creativity and the joy!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Wendy said...

Awesome boy quilt...love it!!

Go-Go Kim said...

This is amazing!!! As a mama of three boys and grandma to two more I love seeing awesome boy quilts too!!! Thanks for sharing :o)

Pamela said...

Wonderful quilt! You don't see too many great boy quilts, and this is definitely one - I know that either of my grandsons would love it.

Carla G said...

Love this quilt!! Amazing job!! My boys would go nuts over this quilt!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

What a cute quilt for a wonderful little boy. All the work paid off to see that smile on his face.

Kathy H said...

I love the dump truck quilt. It was bigger on the bed than I thought it looked all by itself. Nice quilting too. It will be much loved.

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow! This quilt is fabulous!!

Karyli said...

Amazing quilt! And so much fun for a little boy!