Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 4, 2011

Yellow and Grey Lady of the Lake Quilt...

We got this great submission from during quiet time, what an amazing blog I hadn't seen before. When she sent her submission in, I went to her blog and had to force myself to get off 45 minutes later...(I went back later) You will definitely want to check her out for some inspiration. I LOVE this quilt! I love the color combination. The piecing is amazing! She also sells some amazing handprinted fabric at her etsy shop. Be sure to check her out!

I just completed my yellow and grey Lady of the Lake quilt! It measures 72" x 96" and fits a twin sized bed. I was originally inspired by Rita, of Red Pepper Quilts. She created this beautifulLady of the Lake quilt which was my introduction to the traditional block. I decided that I wanted to make my quilt all yellow and grey and began collecting the fabrics late this summer. I really enjoy selecting fabrics and chose at least a couple dozen prints for this quilt along with Kona White, Kona Ash and Amy Butler's Slate for solids. I also wanted to incorporate my silkscreened quilting process panel in a way that added to the design of the quilt without being distracting but I also didn't want to hide it on the back (see lower right of the quilt).
I started work on the quilt at the beginning of this year and completed it last night, Feb. 5th. After quite a bit of deliberation, I decided to quilt diagonal lines using a soft grey thread. The backing is a solid Kona Ash and the binding is a mini white and grey Designer Houndstooth by Free Spirit.
I found taking pictures of a bed size quilt very difficult, especially with all the snow. I had two helpers wearing snow shoes attempting to help me. It was awfully hard to get the quilt up high enough so this was the best we could do!
My silkscreen panel is difficult to read in these photos but I call it my quilting process panel and it reads "DREAM, CUT, PIECE, BASTE, QUILT, BIND, CRINKLE, LOVE." It is very satisfying to work through that process and arrive at the LOVE stage. Of course, it's hard not to see little flaws but I will learn from those for the next time.



Photobucket

13 comments:

Suburban Stitcher said...

it's gorgeous!

Dawn S. said...

What a gorgeous quilt!! you should be very proud.

Go-Go Kim said...

Very stunning quilt!

dutchcomfort said...

I’m still in awe over this quilt Amy!

Kathy H said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful. I had just come across this pattern last year when 2 friends made them but in different color ways. They were both in florals. I love the yellow and grays. Thanks for the inspriration. I think seeing other color ways inspires me to try something different too.

Anonymous said...

I love that quilt! It's like sunshine on the snow! I love how you updated a very old and wonderful block.

Helen said...

I love the yellows and grays! Great choice for a great quilt. Happy quilting:o)

Poppyprint said...

LOVE Amy's super original, fresh work. Especially when she works her printed panels into fun projects!

Anonymous said...

Love the small triangles and how they compliment the larger ones! Great colors for a cold spring day.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I have been an admirer of this quilt since I saw peaks from the very beginning. And I'm super happy to have some of Amy's panels.

Amy Friend said...

Thank you everyone. You are all so sweet! I love this quilt. I can't wait to make another but I must stop and get some smaller projects out of the way!

amy smart said...

This quilt is so amazing. I love it too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a beautiful and surprising quilt. I would have never put those colors together but they work so well with this pattern. The overall effect is stunning.