Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 25, 2011

Ruffle Quilt from Lilac Lane

Happy Monday everyone.  Quick little note, Heather posted her children's Easter dresses (made by her mil in gorgeous Bliss fabric) on our other blog Fresh Poppy Design, so check it out :)


Melissa from Lilac Lane is sharing a gorgeous quilt today, just check out this piecing!  A lot of the fabrics are from her daughter's clothing, so sweet.  Melissa is a pattern designer, fabric designer and a stay at home mommy.  Enjoy getting to know a little more about her and seeing such a pretty quilt!


A little about me: I'm a fabric and pattern designer and LOVE it! (patterns with QuiltWoman.com and fabric with _____ I can't say yet, but I'm bursting to tell! Maybe by Monday!) Technically, I'm also a pharmacist, although I don't practice much at all. And most of all, I'm a stay-at-home mommy. As far as what kind of quilter I am, I am certainly no perfectionist. I hate to rip! I took my first quilting class about 6 years ago. Before that I definitely quilted a lot, even since I was 10 years old, but I thought I knew what I was doing. LOL I learned a lot in those monthly classes, which I took for about 3 years and another one that lasted two years. Although I'm still no perfectionist, I've learned to do better the first time. Occasionally, I will rip out! But mostly I've learned techniques and shortcuts to make everything turn out better. I've been called the queen of making old look new. As in, I like to use old patterns and make them fresh with color, technique, and changing things up a bit. I'm very definitely a colorful person. I've just finished a quilt for McCalls Quick Quilts which has nine contrasting colors, and I've remarked that it may be the least I've ever put into a quilt. I love to make easy patterns that look difficult. Modern to me doesn't have to be just straight lines.


The Road to Redemption is finished! Those of you who have followed along for awhile remember this two year long quilt process. You can read all about it here. There are 33 small (6 inch) blocks and 12 large (12 inch) blocks. If you're wondering what took me so long, I added a ruffled border and was willing to wait for my ruffler foot to come in to do it. Was it worth it? Yes. But at times I felt like I would die at my machine before this quilt got finished. 

Yes it really did snow here today.


Quilted by Lisa Sipes, who is nominated for a Golden Quilter award for Best Long-Arm Quilter.

This pillowcase was a Christmas present from my sweet friend Marie.



Photobucket

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful, and the ruffle just makes it 'cuter' and girlie (sorry men). Love it. Kxx

Average Quilter said...

That is a great quilt and I love the ruffle. I like doing different things around the edges

Suburban Stitcher said...

That is a really cool blanket! Love it!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

beautiful quilt!!

the gathering girls said...

Beautiful quilt, but I'm not surprised, Melissa has a good eye for fabric choices and patterns!

Go-Go Kim said...

The ruffle is really a nice touch!!!!! I love all the color and my favorite is the shot of the sweetheart sleeping under it!!!!! It always makes me happy to see my kids sleeping under something I made :o)

Needled Mom said...

I've followed Melissa for sometime now and she does such beautiful work. Her Road to Redemption is just one of them. Best of all, she is a wonderful mommy.

Sara said...

Sweet ruffle---definitely worth the wait for that special foot!

Patty said...

Yay Melissa great job on the quilt, so happy for you about the fabric designer.

Lisa Sipes said...

Since I quilted it, I got to see this quilt up close and personal. I just have to say that as beautiful as the pictures are, they do this quilt no justice!